Reload this Page >

Buying Wine in Italy

Search

Buying Wine in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 08:13 AM
Jordy Almgren

Buying Wine in Italy

I would like to visit a good wine shop in Florence or the tuscany region, and have the bottles shipped back to the U.S. Can anyone recommend a good shop? Also please explain your experience in shipping wine from Italy and any costs associated...if you recall. <BR>Thanks!

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 11:03 AM
Jennifer

We shipped two cases of wine home from Enoteca Franci in Montalcino(Brunellos!) last fall. The wines arrived about 4-5 weeks after we returned. Nothing was broken and there were no additional fees tacked on. I am searching for the invoice which contains the exact amount paid for shipping. I think it amounted to about an extra $5-10 per bottle. It was still cheaper, however, than buying the wine here in the US. Plus you have the excitement of opening the cases and reliving your trip. The larger enotechas all appeared to offer shipping. You may find a wine shop in Florence in the book "Touring Wine Country - Tuscany" by Maureen Ashley. Good Luck.

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 11:17 AM
Rex

I don't know what state Jennifer lives in, but there ARE states (I am sure about this for Indiana, for example), where it is a FELONY to ship alcoholic beverages by mail, and maybe through all common carriers. <BR> <BR>I have sought information on this subject for a long time (much longer than I have been on this board) and Jennifer's story is the first such positive experience I have ever heard. <BR> <BR>Far more common is the "no problem carrying a case of wine in luggage". <BR> <BR>Buy a 21" rollaboard and a 45" (large) strong canvas duffle bad which goes with you, empty (weighs less than a pound). Pack the wine in the rollaboard with appropriate packing - - try to get the molded bottle-shaped liners that the wine store has - - then pack your entire rollaboard inside the duffle with the clothes that WERE in the rollaboard outside (and thus around) the rollaboard, but inside the duffle bag. In otherwords, make the rollaboard like the yolk of a hard boiled egg (the duffle bag is the shell, your clothes are the white). <BR> <BR>There are no laws against this, though in some states, a fastidious tax collector might say that you owe sales tax (which can also be true bringing alcoholic beverages across a state line from one low-tax state to a higher sales tax state). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 11:17 AM
elvira

Just a heads up: some states do not allow 'importation' of wine unless you are a licensed dealer. If that's the case, a local liquor store might work with you on this (especially if you are a good customer), allowing the wine to be shipped to them under their license. Other states have pretty hefty tax, which could make the cost prohibitive. Check with your state first (my state confiscates wine of more than 1 litre and supposedly pours it down the drain) and get all your bases covered first!

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 01:02 PM
Paul

Here's my 2 liters worth: <BR> <BR>1) Wine Shop - From my reading, the "Enoteca Italiana" in Siena is supposed to have an outstanding selection - comments like "one of the best in Italy" keep popping up about this shop. <BR> <BR>2) Shipping - I bought a handle-and-strap affair from Magellan's last year, and hand-carried the case back (ugh!). The airline would not check it, as they would not assume liability for damage caused to other people's luggage if the wine broke. <BR> <BR>If you're going to put the wine in your luggage, I'd follow Rex's excellent suggestion, plus I'd pad the bottles within the case with some newspaper. Do not tell the airlines what's inside! <BR> <BR>3) Customs - they assessed the wine at a flat 10% for the bottles over the allowance, and didnt' even bring up the IRS tax. I'd researched this, and found that it came to about $4.00 on a case of "red table wine". <BR> <BR>4) State Law - DEFINATELY check this out! Some are probably more sticky about the taxes than others. I've never had a problem coming into Boston. <BR> <BR>Salute!

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Jordy

Thanks for the info all. I live in Indiana, and yes they are sticklers for having wine sent into the State. I will probably shop at the wine shop in Siena, buy a duffle and newspapers, and carry it on upon my return. The tax sound pretty minimal considering the cost of shipping it. <BR>