buying volvo in europe

Jul 3rd, 2000, 12:38 PM
burl

buying volvo in europe

friends recommend buying a volvo from a dealer in USA and doing European delivery. Anyone done this? Good idea or no? thanks

Jul 3rd, 2000, 10:38 PM
John

Hi, Burl,
We've done a Saab and were planning a Volvo this summer but scheduling didn't permit, maybe next spring...
If one is in the market for a Saab, Volvo, BMW, Porsche or Mercedes (only ones I know of with factory delivery programs for N. American buyers) I honestly don't know why one wouldn't do a European delivery. Volvo and Saab give pretty good discounts (around 7-8% off US sticker) plus they'll supply one or two air tickets over if you watch for the promotions. A lot of fun, much cheaper than renting, really no downside that I can think of, except the time, and with a free ticket maybe one can spend a long weekend in Sweden and still come out ahead.

Jul 3rd, 2000, 11:14 PM
Michelle

I don't know whether this is of any use, but lots of my buddies (US and European) have purchased via Shipside in the Netherlands. It may be worth an e-mail to check it out.

[email protected]

Jul 4th, 2000, 04:55 AM
Mary Ann

We did a BMW in 1997 and if we could afford it would do it again! They gave approximately 10% off the base price, included lunch at pick up and a full tank of gas with up to 90 days insurance for driving in western europe. We could drop it off in anyone of 13 locations, driving in Italy had some insurance limitations. Therefore, you have to possibly adjust your itinerary to the limits (or pay more) as well as consideration for pickup and drop off spots. They want it to work well so that you have a positive experience. The only down side is that you do not have use of the car while it is being shipped back to the states, so leasing could be disadvantageous. We had wanted to go to Prague and could not, so we just had to go back last year! (Not a bad excuse)

Jul 4th, 2000, 08:39 AM
Art

I'm planning on picking up a new Volvo C70 conv or a MB CLK430 conv in 2 years when I take my sons to the British Isles (havn't decided which yet). Please let me know how your experiance was if you decide to follow through.