Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buying Turkish Lira for Canadian Travelers

Dec 31st, 2013, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

DH and I are leading a student tour to Turkey, Greece and Italy this spring. We recommended our travellers purchase some Turkish Lira before they leave Canada. We have since encountered a problem with our bank and they told us that the International Currency Exchange company that they deal with is no longer carrying Lira. Has anyone else in Canada encountered this problem in the last 6 months?
We will suggest they carry Euros and get money from a bank machine when we arrive, however, if anyone has any suggestions to make this work I would love to hear them.
Dec 31st, 2013, 08:31 AM

How much cash and what for? Unless there is a very good reason to carry some cash, losing TWICE on exchange by taking Euros to Turkey makes little sense to me.

The best exchange rate is always at the ATM using a debit card. Taking a small amount of cash ($50) in the local currency is fine but rarely necessary. Every airport I have ever been in has bank ATMs (not to be confused with a foreignn exchange counter or their private ATMs) available meaning you can get local cash within 5 minutes of your arrival.

You do of course have to pay the visa fee on arrival and annoyingly, Turkey prefers you to pay in Euro or US dollars. Check for the current fee. Last time I entered it was 45E or $60 US. Checking the exchange rate to Canadian dollars, just before leaving, on both would be the way to determine which to buy for that purpose.

Canada's big 6 banks do not sell Turkish lira and haven't for years as far as I know. You would have to go to a 'currency exchange bureau' which charge much higher rates than banks and bank ATMs do.

So my advice is to take only enough to pay the entry visa in either Euros or US dollars depending on which is cheaper given the exchange rate just before the departure date and take no more than that. Get lira from a bank ATM after arrival.
Dec 31st, 2013, 08:39 AM

So my advice is to take only enough to pay the entry visa in either Euros or US dollars depending on which is cheaper given the exchange rate just before the departure date and take no more than that. Get lira from a bank ATM after arrival.

agree
Dec 31st, 2013, 08:47 AM

Also, cashing out of unused Lira outside Turkey is also difficult. Use Lira up or convert back to a more widely circulated currency before you leave Turkey.
Dec 31st, 2013, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Actually, we purchased Turkish Lira in 2010 before visiting Istanbul through our local bank. It is only recently that they are no longer available (last 6 months) in our province. We will be carrying Euros because we are visiting other countries where Euros are used so they will be able to pay for their visas with Euros. thanks for the suggestions.
Jan 1st, 2014, 08:13 AM

Well, if you will be withdrawing Euros from an ATM in another country before entering Turkey, that makes sense. I do hope you are not suggesting though that you will be buying Euros in Canada to take to Europe. That does NOT make sense.

NEVER carry cash of any signifigant amount when travelling. ALWAYS use ATMs to get cash where you need it.