Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buying Train tickets for travel from Paris to Geneva. Have questions.

Sep 24th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Deb

We leave for Paris in 1 week. After 8 days there we want to take a train to Geneva. Do we have to go personally to the train station to purchase our tickets or can our hotel phone in our reservation and we pick up the tickets at will call? Also will we be able to Mastercard the tickets there or must we pay cash? Thanks so much!

Sep 24th, 2001, 07:33 AM
StCirq

You can reserve tickets at www.sncf.fr and pick them up at the train station in Paris. If you purchase tickets this way up to 8 days before you travel, you will benefit from one of the many discounts SNCF offers. You could also just buy them at the train station the day you travel, but there's always a slight risk to that, and you won't get the discount. I've never done it myself, but I believe you could have your hotel call and reserve them as well.

Sep 24th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Deb`

I always thought it was cheaper to buy train tickets in France, once we get there. Am I wrong? Also anyone know if they take Mastercard? Any info greatly appreciated.

Sep 24th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Bob Brown

I reserved my tickets over Internet with the SNCF website. I went to one of the Paris train stations to complete the transaction. I paid with my Visa card; so I assume Master Charge would work as well.
If you buy through Rail Europe, you will pay anywhere fron 25% to 50% more for the same ticket.

If you reserve through the SNCF site, there will be a deadline by which you must get your tickets. (I don;t like to pay until I am actually in Europe. Too many things seem to happen!!)

Sep 25th, 2001, 04:47 AM
StCirq

Deb: You're probably confusing buying tickets through Eurrail in advance from the USA with buying tickets through the SNCF site in advance. Eurrail will charge you s hefty surcharge for tickets. If you use the SNCF site, you can take advantage of discount advance-purchase tickets. For example, you can get discounts for buying a ticket 8 or more days in advance, discounts for traveling with 2 or more family members, etc. You can get these same discounts by purchasing tickets in France, but for the advance-purchase discounts, you'd have to be in France for at least 8 days before you used your ticket.