Buying Tickets on Trenitalia

May 30th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Buying Tickets on Trenitalia

Has anyone booked their tickets on Trenitalia. It seems that they accept payment on CC from North America.
May 30th, 2010, 03:57 PM
ira

Hi AP,

For the past couple of years we have found that trenitalia does not accept NA credit cards online.

What's your itinerary?

It is quite likely that you can get all of your tickets in Europe.

Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

I will be going from Munich to Venice, Venice to Florence the Florence to Rome.
Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:03 AM

Hi,

For the Munich-Venice leg, you might consider the German rail website http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en. It looks like a long trip, are you considering the night train? I've never tried it myself.

As for TrenItalia, we too had trouble purchasing our tickets, they do not accept most CC from US. I bought our tickets for Venice-Florence and Florence-Rome on Italiarail.com. 2 years ago, it was $231 for 2 adults, 2nd class, reservation inclusive (we chose the high speed EuroCity train, highly recommended). There was a $15 DSL shipping fee, but worth the price for the comfort of having those major legs of our trip planned.

Good luck and have fun! We're going to Munich in September!
Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:09 AM

Hi - My info may be a little dated as the last time I booked online with them was about 2 years ago but I can tell you that at that time it was doable. After one of my transactions however Trenitalia/Visa locked out my card and would not take it again...I got it fixed with Visa but would have had to call Trenitalia to fix it with them (online Trenitalia would tell my the card was not being accepted). Fortunately I was traveling with 4 people so I just kept using different cards to schedule all our trips By the end of the trip however I would say that at least 2 of our cards was no longer accepted by Trenitalia!

I have bought ahead and bought there...for long legs my preference is to schedule ahead and research some of the special rates, especially if there is more than one person in your party. My advice is go ahead and try your card but call the company and tell them it is not fradulent activity so your card doesn't get locked out.