Search

Buying tickets :Madrid to Salamanca by bus

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying tickets :Madrid to Salamanca by bus

Hi.

It will be my first time traveling from Barajas airport to Salamanca. Most likely I will arrive on Sunday, but definitely have to be in Salamanca by Monday.

Based on many helpful reviews, I have decided to take the avanzabus.

Is it wise to buy tickets online - site says they don't accept cards from non spanish banks though, therefore may be forced to take the train....

Does anyone have experience buying bus tickets the day of? And on a sunday no less?

Btw am in california..

Ayudáme
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 07:48 PM

We've purchased tickets from Avanzabus for clients online without any problem. I don't see anything on their website saying that they will not accept credit cards from non-Spanish banks. They do as for your passport number, which is normal. But you do have to register with the website in order to purchase tickets.

http://www.venta.avanzabus.com/web/d...-viajeros.html
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Ahh thanks so much!
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 08:06 AM

I had no problems purchasing at the bus station in person for immediate travel to Salamanca during a week end. There were quite a few people on that route, so much so that the bus quickly filled however they immediately added a second bus then and there which is the one I ended up on, and the 2 vehicles essentially followed each other on the road.

In any case, the runs are frequent, every hour I believe, so worse comes to worse you would have to wait for an hour at the station. Either way, I would not worry. I have never purchased bus tickets on-line for Spain, but as you say it may be worth a try anyways.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM

FYI-The bus station is a little outside the center but there is a bus out on the street.It really is a nice ride as you get to see the old part of Salamanca as you approach it.Of course, the other option is a short taxi ride.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 04:24 PM

I made the trip from Barajas to Salamanca two years ago in July. I decided not to buy the tickets in advance. It was easy to go to the ticket window in the airport and get the information. I managed to get a bus direct from the airport. The bus area is out the main terminal to the left side of the parking lot. I had to wait an hour or two for the bus, but it was very convenient.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 06:01 PM

adding-the bus is a coach with A/C and assigned seats,very nice and comfortable.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 07:11 PM

The Avanzabus is a recent addition. You can purchase your tickets online or from the driver. There is no window at the airport to purchase tickets from.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

This is all very helpful info..thank you all...Robert2533 i'm not sure if things have changed recently, but the site advises you can buy at the El Cortes ticket window? But if i can buy from the driver, even better.....how current is the info you have? Im afraid of surprises.
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 01:10 AM

I did buy my Madrid to Salamanca (and return) tickets online without a problem. When I got to the bus station, I realized I could have qualified for a discount had I done it in person as I am now (just) over 65. Not a big financial problem but the website did not allow it insofar as I could see buying from the US. I did switch to an earlier bus and had to pay 1.5 euros at the terminal.

The website is only in Spanish. I don't speak much Spanish but was able to figure it out. Very easy and the buses are nice and have wifi.