Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   buying the euro/pound (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/buying-the-euro-pound-877260/)

alienor Feb 9th, 2011 01:19 PM

buying the euro/pound

My bank will very kindly sell me the Euro before I go to Paris -- at .07 cents more than the current exchange rate. I suppose I can just wait and use the atm at CDG but I'd like to have some cash. Ditto the pound.

spaarne Feb 9th, 2011 01:24 PM

Don't amuse your bank. Use one of the ATMs at CDG. Bring some greenbacks as reserve.

alanRow Feb 9th, 2011 01:50 PM

"at .07 cents" - Do you mean $0.07 - which is 100 times as much. And what "current exchange rate" are they using?

I'll also point out that exchanging $ to € to £ or $ to £ in France will cost you a lot of money as 2 sets of fees will be applied - $ to € & € to £ even if you don't see the €

Judy Feb 9th, 2011 02:06 PM

Your best exchange rate will be at an ATM. You need to negotiate the charge over the exchange rate with your bank to avoid excessive fees for withdrawal.

Michael Feb 9th, 2011 02:06 PM

$.07 is close to a 5% charge on the exchange rate.

janisj Feb 9th, 2011 02:59 PM

absolutely use your ATM card once you get there. If you simply <i>must</i> have some cash in your pocket first--just take $100/$200 cash to the Bureau de Change in your departure airport. No need to pre-purchase.

But even that is unnecessary unless you are super nervous about things

nytraveler Feb 9th, 2011 04:14 PM

If you want a little cash then change $100 at the Bureau de Change at your departure airport.. the rate will be awful - but it doesn;t matter for $100 and it's lot less trouble than dealing with a bank. Then just pull money from your checking account at the first ATM you see in your arrival airport.

We have about that in euros and pounds and bring it back from one trip and save it for the next. Other than that we do credit cards, ATM for walking around money and $200 is US $ in 20s - in case of emergency. (Haven;t had a financial emergency in more than 70 trips to Europe though.)

bobthenavigator Feb 9th, 2011 06:08 PM

ATM, ATM, ATM
Anytime you use the money lenders they will get you for 7 to 12%--it is in their DNA.

ira Feb 10th, 2011 04:34 AM

Ditto NYT

Michel_Paris Feb 10th, 2011 05:34 AM

A 'kind bank', how nice :)

I can see getting a few pounds and euros in order to get from airport to hotel, or in case ATM at airport is out of commission.

Otherwise thank them for their kindness and move on.

innocentspirit Feb 10th, 2011 06:13 AM

Try out the various prepaid foreign currency(EURO) travel cards that can be bought (online?) for free - it basically acts as a debit card at your holiday destination and you can even top it up if it runs out by going online & through phone. Look out for the ones that have zero charges for atm withdrawls and online/phone topping. I've been using them for a few years without any trouble.

Your debit card from home is bound to attract bank charges if you use it at an atm while on your holiday.

Mimar Feb 10th, 2011 06:22 AM

So, innocentspirit, do you have a link? I'm suspicious of travel cards that are "free." No upfront charge? No conversion fee? No ATM fee?

I have debit/ATM cards from 2 credit unions that charge no ATM fees and only the system 1% over the interbank conversion rate.

innocentspirit Feb 10th, 2011 06:50 AM

Look up for Travelex - The particular card used to be called Cash Passport or something similar when I used to use it around 4 - 5 years back, but then I think these days they charge for online topping or was that for atm transaction (not sure - haven't checked in a while now).

Now a days since I'm more locally based I use Caxton which gives me the the aforementioned qualities.

Hope this helps.

kayd Feb 10th, 2011 06:50 AM

Innocentspirit, are you in the US or elsewhere? I ask because what you describe is absolutely contrary to all I know about US banking practices, but I have no doubt it could be true in another country.

innocentspirit Feb 10th, 2011 06:54 AM

@ kayd - I'm currently based this side of the pond.

kayd Feb 10th, 2011 06:56 AM

Now if the original poster is outside the US, all the advice we are giving here ( ATM all they way) may not apply. The only thing that I'm sure is accurate for everyone is that banking practices and regulations vary greatly from one country to the next.

kayd Feb 10th, 2011 06:57 AM

innocentspirit -- where in the US are you getting these banking products at no cost?

innocentspirit Feb 10th, 2011 07:06 AM

@ kayd - my bad - should have been more specific in my earlier reply - am currently based in UK

Dukey1 Feb 10th, 2011 07:21 AM

all these responses and the OP has YET to return and they didn't even ask "should I?" Trolls are getting easier and easier around here

Michel_Paris Feb 10th, 2011 07:28 AM

Sorry, but no card you can load is "free". It reminds me of the Currency exchanges that advertise' no fees"!!! Wow, I am getting currency for free.

Unless they are a currency charity :)

EVERY currency transaction has two potential costs to you: the fee and the exchange rate. You need to know about BOTH before you can decide what is a deal.

There was along discussion last year about prepaid VISA cards. Once you dug into the fine print, it was an atrociously expensive option

It can also be like a Seinfeld episode...they can "take your card and load it for free" they just can't 'give it back to you" for free.

Buyer beware