buying technology in europe question

Jun 29th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

buying technology in europe question

I need a video camera, and a still camera, both digital. I also need an iriver which is like an ipod but better.

I can buy here is aussie, i can buy on layover in Singapore or when i arrive in europe. either france or germany.

Has anyone purchased these types of items in these countries, and ideas on evaluating price differences and therefore any recomemdnations?

thanks
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:49 AM

I think it would be much cheaper in Australia or Hong Kong...Europe would be more expensive. Check out on-line prices for each country.
Jun 30th, 2004, 03:27 AM

Don't know about OZ but generally europe is very expensive for technology - at least versus the US - almost everything is way cheaper here.
Jun 30th, 2004, 04:00 AM

On a recent attempt to do something similar to what bhuty has in mind, I found:

1. Given that foreigners get VAT refunded in Europe, Australia was always the most expensive of the four countries bhuty's interested in. But I didn't investigate duty-free shops at Australian airports.

2. Singapore layovers aren't quite as buyer-friendly as you'd imagine. On five visits to Changi in the past year, only once has my stay there been long enough to buy serious technology. Twice on Europe-bound flights virtually all the airport shops were closed - even during a four hour wait (many Oz-Europe flights pass through Changi at hours so unearthly even Singaporean retailers aren't up and working). On two other occasions, the incoming flight was late, leaving no time to do any shopping before cathcing the connection. There is limited price information available on the Changi web site (www.chagi-airport.com.sg).

3. You don't need to speculate on French prices. Darty (www.darty.com) FNAC (www.fnac.com) and www.monsieurprix.com carry pretty comprehensive price information for just about everything bhuty's interested in.
Jun 30th, 2004, 05:46 AM

For the video camera make sure you get the right broadcast system for Australia. For the USA it is NTSC, for France SECAM, and for Germany PAL. I don't know what these letters mean but the net result is no picture if you are on the wrong system. I don't know what system you have in Australia. If you can find a multi-system camcorder you may be over this technical conflict.
Jun 30th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Also, check to see if the Warranty is good in OZ. Some foreign goods warranties are no good here in US. They are/were called Grey Goods.