Search

Buying Swiss Rail Tix

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:39 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying Swiss Rail Tix

When buying tickets for the train, is there a faster way than waiting in line? In other words, can the tickets be bought from a machine using my credit card and my half fare card? Or can they be bought after I'm on the train? I know most of the time you cannot buy on the train, but I wanted to ask you all anyway. The reason I would be in a hurry is that I have looked at the schedules from Morgins to the BO and I will have to take a bus from Morgins to Monthey, then the train from Monthey will leave only 10 minutes after the bus arrives, so I will be rushed and won't have time to stand in a long line. Any advice is welcome.

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Hi P_M,

Most likely you'll buy the ticket Morgins-BO inclusive, no buying a second ticket. Whenever I take the Postbus, the ticket is from the origin all the way to the destination, no matter if the means is a train or a Postbus.

But to answer your specific question, yes, there are ticket machines in some stations (not sure if they're at every station yet). The machines let you select the origin & the destination (so you could conceivably buy a ticket from Montreux to Gstaad while at the Lausanne station, for instance), then you select if you want one way or return (indicated by one or two arrows), then you select if you want full fare or half fare (indicated by 1/1 or 1/2). Then you can pay by credit card or by inserting bills.

But, I say again, most likely you'll already have your ticket when you board in Morgins. If you're at all concerned, ask the driver of the Morgins-Monthey bus.

Hope this helps.

s
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, I bought a ticket from the conductor once on the train when I was in a hurry. It does cost a bit more but to me was worth it for the convenience. This was Geneva to Vevey, I believe. Sorry to be vague, but I know I've done it!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Hello P_M,

(and hi S!) I also checked the schedules Morgins to BO. Are you sure about the bus to Monthey? All the connections I found include the bus to Troistorrents where you have to change to a train to either Aigle or Monthey.

No problem, though. Troistorrents is a very small train station and there won't be long lines.

To clarify what S wrote: You cannot purchase the ticket for bus+railway in the postbus, you have to buy the tickets which include railway in the post office before getting on the bus. No problem at all, the bus stop is right at the post office in Morgins.

Ingo
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:25 PM
P_M
Original Poster

OK thanks everyone, as always you have helped.

Ingo--I have a couple of options for routes and Monthey seemed like the one that will get me there the earliest in the day. However, if I go the other route, I'm sure that will be fine too. I'll take another look at the schedules.