Reload this Page >

Buying pottery in Deruta--Sat. or Mon.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 01:56 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Some of you may recall that my lovely wife of 42 years--Susan the Navigator--is one of the most accomplished ceramic shoppers in the western world. Well, we will find ourselves in Assisi for Palm Sunday this year <BR>and she remembered that Deruta was not far away. The question is when the shops may be open that weekend--the Sat. as we arrive or the Mon. as we depart. Please help---she is already twitching with anticipation.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Mustangs81

Bob, <BR> <BR>We were there (Deruta) last month. I checked my diary and found that we went a week night and stores were closed. Then we returned on Sunday, again stores were closed with the exception of one of the larger stores. I did window shop and got a good feel for the product but not the pricing so I can't compare. <BR> <BR>I found my "must haves" in Oriveto, but as mentioned, I can't say if I would have gotten a better price in Deruta. <BR> <BR>I know this isn't much help.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 06:29 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

To the top ! Come on gang--where are all of you dedicated shoppers when I need you?

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Judi

Bob, according to Frommers 2000 the largest manufacturer, Ubaldo Grazie, is open M-F 9:00-1:00 and 2:30-6:30. On Saturday it is open from 9:00-1:00. <BR>I hope that gives Susan enough time to shop her little heart out.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Sandi

I've shopped in Deruta on a Sunday and a Monday but I don't know if Palm Sunday will effect that or not.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Mustangs81

Bob, <BR>I did try, but I know my post rarely have value.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 03:29 PM
liz

Bob, I like you wife, love my italian ceramica and am planning to stop in Deruta after our visit in Assisi this summer. On our last visit my whole family had there carry on bags full of various ceramic dinnerware! I have checked this years Frommers (sorry Fodors) and it lists Easter Sunday and Monday as official state holidays. So it sounds like you may have luck on the Saturday. Good luck, and if you find a place that specializes in the Raffaello pattern let me know please. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 06:30 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Grazie to all. Looks like Sat. for sure.