Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Buying museum tickets ahead for Amsterdam given the ... situation (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/buying-museum-tickets-ahead-for-amsterdam-given-the-situation-836548/)

pavot Apr 20th, 2010 09:40 AM

Buying museum tickets ahead for Amsterdam given the ... situation

I have a short stay in Amsterdam coming up (if the prevailing winds allow it), and I was all set to but tickets ahead of arrival for things like the Van Gogh Museum and the Anne Frank House.

How difficult will it be to see such attractions without advance tickets? Are there times of the day I could hope to "just walk in" without a long, long line?

(I know in the grand scheme that losing the euros it costs to reserve ahead won't put us in the poorhouse or anything, but to me, it might be another source of stress or regret if our plans are disrupted to the degree, say, that we'd have to skip Amsterdam altogether.)

hetismij Apr 20th, 2010 09:50 AM

When are due here?

The van Gogh you can just walk in. Shouldn't be much of a queue - and bear in mind lots of tourists are put off by the situation.
For the Anne Frankhuis you could get there for opening time, or see what the queues are like later in the day.

If you have access to the internet whilst here you can probably still by your tickets online once you've arrived.

Palenque Apr 20th, 2010 09:53 AM

I think you can also make the Anne Frank reservation at the VVV (Tourist Office) in front of the main train station - you could two years ago when i last checked but not sure of current situation - the Van Gogh rarely has longish lines - i often walk by it. Anne Frank House usually does.

pavot Apr 20th, 2010 10:03 AM

Thanks, guys, that's good to know.

I'd like to say here and now that I SO appreciate your help on all my Amsterdam questions.

We're supposed to arrive on May 12 for just two days, and I want to see as much as I can.

You've given really helpful and reassuring advice. Thanks again.

Palenque Apr 20th, 2010 10:14 AM

I know in the grand scheme that losing the euros it costs to reserve ahead won't put us in the poorhouse or anything,>

Well the Anne Frank House website seems to say that online reservations cost an extra 15 euros - above the 8.50 euro museum entry fee

While that will not break you to me it is an outrage charging that much just for a booking - or am in reading something wrong? And yeh i know it's for a good cause, etc but still this is highway robbery, if as it seems.

hetismij Apr 20th, 2010 10:30 AM

I read it as online tickets cost €9, including a 50cents booking fee.

hetismij Apr 20th, 2010 10:32 AM

No idea where you get that €15 from Pal. I went through the entire booking system, short of coughing up the dosh, and it said €9.

JAGM Apr 25th, 2010 11:58 AM

We just returned from Amsterdam yesterday. Went to both the museums on Thur, Apr 15. We received a tip on a bus -buy your ticket to Van Gogh at a diamond place on the other side of the street. This also houses Key tours. We went there, bought our ticket to VG, and went to the shorter line for those with pre-purchased tickets. We were there at opening time and the lines were pretty long, mostly with school kids.
We went to Anne Frank house about 3:00 that afternoon. Waited in a short line that moved fast and bought our ticket then.

pavot Apr 25th, 2010 12:35 PM

Thanks for that, JAGM. It's always great to get such updates.