Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Buying marble mosaic tiles (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/buying-marble-mosaic-tiles-680289/)

dollartist Feb 16th, 2007 07:28 AM

Buying marble mosaic tiles

I am going to be in Tuscany and Amalfi Coast area in May. I am traveling with other artists, and we would like to visit the marble quarries. I'm looking to buy some small tiles to do my own mosaic foyer. Does anyone know where a good selection is, and that will ship home for me? Also any comments or suggestions for us sculptors that might enhance our visit. (I've watched the posts for 6 months now, and have read the thoughts on good visit/bad visit. Still want to go!) Thanks.

LucieV Feb 16th, 2007 09:35 AM

My mother, a professional sculptress, visited and worked in Pietrasanta a week each summer for 3 years in the late 1980's. She loved the place, the opportunities, etc. Already over 80 at the time, Mom's health wasn't perfect, so she needed a certain degree of security; she very much enjoyed her stay with a woman who rented a room in her home to visiting artists. (I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been, but it's on my list.:( ) Anyway, do consider Pietrasanta!

dollartist Feb 17th, 2007 04:34 AM

LucieV, thank you for the suggestion. We will consider it. I'm wondering if around the quarries isn't the right place to look for small tiles. Maybe the only thing there is the large blocks, or tourist-type little items for sale. Does anyone know?

chiarachiara Feb 18th, 2007 09:39 PM

I wonder if laartista, who is posting on this site - and being a mosaic artist herself, would not be able to help you? Just a suggestion!

dollartist Feb 19th, 2007 06:27 AM

laartista, I would love to hear from you with any sugggestions or comments you might have. You can email me directly if you would like. Thanks for the heads up, chiarachiara.

laartista Feb 19th, 2007 06:37 AM

Hi there, actually I work in handpainted glass and other types of glass but I do know some people who work in marble. Let me ask around. I know I have some sites in my favorites located in Italy, most are glass suppliers, but I will check those also and post back, Off the top of my head I'm drawing a blank. I do know shippping marble is expensive and there are suppliers here in the states that you can get these tiles from. What types are you looking for. Do you want them already at 1/2", 1/4" sizes or to cut yourself?

laartista Feb 19th, 2007 06:41 AM

Try looking around on www. Bamm.org.uk.

It is a link to the british mosaic society. If you go under artists they list by country. There are quite a few in Italy with workrooms and most work in marble. They also have links to suppliers , some also located in Italy. post back if you have a problem and I'll look for the direct link. Still looking for you.

laartista Feb 19th, 2007 06:43 AM

http://www.bamm.org.uk/italy/

This is the link to the italy page

laartista Feb 19th, 2007 06:45 AM

Sorry to top again.

Dollartist if you want to buy these tiles here in U.S. I can definitly give you links.

dollartist Feb 21st, 2007 01:44 AM

laartista, thank you so much for your quick reply. I will look at the site and get back with you. I'm still trying to decide whether to go with marble or glass, as each has been used for centuries, and each has it's pros and cons. I was hoping to have them precut, as this isn't my specialty. I also am considering ordering them from the States. Didn't know which was better. Any comments?

laartista Feb 21st, 2007 06:30 AM

I would just get your supplies here. It's easier to find, and the selection is huge. I also prefer glass because in my opinion it is easier to work with and more vibrant color pallettes. Actually a few years ago I began painting my own glass(a former painter) because I could control the color more. I have worked in marble and stone on special request and I just find it's harder to work with. Just dependes on what look you are going for. Glass mosaic reads totally different that marble or stone.Any other questions I'd be happy to answer.

dollartist Feb 22nd, 2007 05:42 AM

Very big thank you to laartista for the information. I will seriously consider glass and ordering here. A new art form for me. I'm excited. Sorry to everyone else that isn't interested. Thanks again for all the great information I have recieved here over the months in planning our trip.