Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Buying Jewelry in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/buying-jewelry-in-paris-555777/)

PaulKassey Sep 1st, 2005 06:41 AM

Buying Jewelry in Paris

HI, Maybe this is not a good idea but we are going to Paris for our 25th anniversary and i would like to buy a wedding band there since it would be special. Can anyone suggest where to buy nice jewelry without getting rippied off by tourist traps. Is there a section of Paris that is similar to "the jewelers building" that the local Bostonians know to go to instead of Kay Jewelers at the Mall? Any help would be appreciated.

ira Sep 1st, 2005 07:00 AM

Hi P,

>where to buy nice jewelry without getting rippied off by tourist traps.<

Take a walk down the Rue de la Paix.

(Bring a lot of money.)

((I))

Christina Sep 1st, 2005 09:27 AM

I don't know your budget, but there are plenty of upscale jewelers around Place Vendome, for example. It would certainly be nice. A lot of them are just the top names that are international. Repossi is there and I think is French.

Paris isn't exactly known for a place tourists go to buy lots of jewelry at supposedly good prices, it's not like Mexico or Greece, Italy, some of those places, so I don't think you are going to run across jewelry shops that are tourist traps.

I'm sure there are tons of other stores, many in St Germain, also, but I don't know about one particular building. Maybe somebody else has specific suggestions.

If you want cheaper (and by Kay Jewelers, I'm thinking more mainstream), Tati has some stores that have gold jewelry and it is cheap or "discounted". It is a discount retailer--I think their main store and clothes are junk, but I don't know what the jewelry sections look like. It wouldn't exactly be romantic to buy something there, it would be like buying a diamond at Walmarts, but might be worth a look. There is a Tati Or at 19, rue de la Paix.

BTilke Sep 1st, 2005 09:29 AM

On the Avenue Victor Hugo, near the Place Victor Hugo, are several jewelry stores. They are not cheap but they don't charge Bulgari or Cartier prices either. Many of them carry high quality estate jewelry from European jewelers (19th and 20th century) and you might be able to find something unique there.

*If* you go to Brussels for a day trip, there are a few excellent jewelers on the Ave. Louise and also de Wolf on the Blvd. Waterloo, plus Noelle on the Sablon (and another jeweler near the L'Ecailler restaurant across from the Sablon church). All of them carry top quality jewelry. I think their prices are better than what I've seen in Paris and in many cases, better quality and more original designs. Finally, there is Marc Swine (yes, that's his name), a good, reasonably priced jeweler (selling his own designs) on 256 Chaussee de Charleroi by the Ma Campagne stop on the 91 and 92 trams.
These aren't in Paris, I know, but they're only 1.5 hours away by high speed train and you might be very pleasantly surprised (note: many jewelers in Paris and Brussels are closed Mondays).

SuzieC Sep 1st, 2005 09:59 AM

..and of course, there are always antiques. ? I'd like that.

jody Sep 1st, 2005 10:27 AM

There are several wonderful shops selling antique and estate jewelry in the Antiquaires de Louvre..across from the Louvre

PaulKassey Sep 1st, 2005 10:38 AM

Hi .. thank you for all the great suggestions!!.
BTilke: you seem to be very familar with custom and semi-custom designs. Where exactly is this Marc Swine? does he have a website to look at. I also think you are right that outside of Paris there might be better chance to pick up a nice peice of jewelry at a reasonable price..
but your right... i am looking foward to the trip .. but not paying the bills.... thanks

nini Sep 1st, 2005 10:40 AM

I bought a gold Eiffel Tower charm several years ago at a nice shop on Rue Honore-Fauberg (sp?). It was a small shop that appeared ridiculously expensive but actually was reasonable. The front door remains locked and you ring a bell/buzzer to get inside. It was within the same block and same side as the well known toy store, Nain Bleu.

suze Sep 1st, 2005 11:31 AM

remember to do the VAT tax exercise on any major purchase

BTilke Sep 1st, 2005 03:07 PM

No, Marc Swine doesn't have a web site. His phone number is 43 2-5385400 (could be his fax, not sure). He has done some very nice rings, although I don't recall his wedding band selection. His prices have always struck me as very reasonable for the quality and custom design. He speaks English and would probably be happy to email you some digital photos of his work if you explained what you are looking for.
For beautiful wedding band designs (or any kind of ring) in Brussels, you would definitely need to check out Holemans on 3, Avenue Louise, right by the Louise metro stop. They specialize in stunning custom work, with almost every type of stone you can imagine (they are known as "sorcerers of the stone"). An article about them:
http://www.time.com/time/europe/spec...yholemans.html
Their prices are not cheap, but you can *see* the quality of their work.
Farther up the Avenue Louise, by the rue Bailli, is the wonderful L'Ecuyer jewelry store, which specializes in vintage jewelry (20th century), terrific selections. I have a pair of 1950s 18k gold and pearl earrings originally by a French designer--I like to pretend they once graced the earlobes of Brigitte Bardot. (FYI, the store manager told me they get a lot of their pieces at auction in Austria.)

Anoukaimee Sep 2nd, 2005 07:43 AM

Off the rue St Honoré you will find "Au Vase de Delf". In the same street as you turn right from the Place Vendome, you will find two stores almost opposite each other. One is called Barboza, the other I do not know, but there is always a man guarding the store. There are at least two other antique jewellers in the same street. What they offer: True antique jewellery, or contemporary pieces at an average of 40%off the retail price. Estate pieces signed Boucheron, Cartier, Van Cleef etc are clearly labelled. Amazing coral jewellery (generally italian).

These are the shops to buy your Cartier classic pieces at 40% off.

You can check out Le Louvre des Antiquaires, a whole shopping centre devoted to seriously expensive antiques, including Dutch masters and authentic ancient roman jewellery and glasswork.