Buying iDTGV tickets at a station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just learned of a good deal on iDTGV tickets from Paris to Marseille which we can use during a trip we're taking in April. Since there are sometimes problems purchasing them on-line with a US credit card, I'm wondering if I can do so at the train station in Lyon when I'm there this month. does anyone know if you can purchase these inexpensive tickets at a station or are the cheap ones limited to on-line purchases only? Thanks for any expert advice.
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
iDTGV and Ouigo tickets are exclusively internet products. They cannot be purchased any other way.

However, you can buy Prem's tickets at a station or SNCF boutique.
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kerouac, I was afraid that would be the answer. I think I'm too early for Prems for April but intend to get them through Trainline when they become available. I'll just try to muddle through with the Seat61 instructions for the outbound tickets and hope I can make it work. Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 09:20 AM

iDTGV tickets are not, actually, always cheaper than a PREM. I took a train once where the prices changed a bit over the time before I bought one, and the PREM was cheaper (they are the same train). And the good deal you see may not be available when you are there, anyway.

too bad, but the prices aren't usually that different, you can just see the iDTGV a month earlier. For example, that train you want, you can buy either kind for March 2nd right now, the idTGV is 30 euro and the PREM 34 euro (same train).
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 09:57 AM

Last July I traveled on a Prem's between Paris and Marseille for just 16 euros. I didn't even know that any fares existed on the long distance trains for less than 19 euros, but there were 3 of us and we qualified as a "mini-group" whatever that is.
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 10:01 AM

I should also mention for people who freak out about not having the proper ticket that I completely screwed up and did not at all print the correct document, which was valid for me but not for my two companions. But the ticket checker accepted that we were valid when I was able to recite the 3 birthdates for the passengers. They only want to punish fraud, not honest mistakes.
Old Dec 6th, 2016, 01:55 PM

Another problem is that iDTGV tickets sell out fast. If you show up at a station to buy one, it's almost certain there won't be any left. Probably won't be any really good PREM fares, either.

What site(s) are you using to try to pay with a U.S. credit card? If you use www.trainline.com there is never a problem IME. Don't use the SNCF site - it DOES sometimes not like U.S. CC's. Trainline is an affiliate of SNCF and has the same prices and schedules and isn't allergic to U.S. CCs.
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice. Just back from a trip to Lyon and reading all of it. I went on the iDTGV site after reading all the stuff on Seat61 and miracle of miracles I used my US pin card and they just printed right out. Got a great deal for myself, husband and our two friends. And, kerouac, because there are four of us, I guess we'll even qualify for the mini-group when we try to buy PREMS for our return ride.

Everyone here is so helpful. thanks. And Happy Holidays