Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Buying IC(Inter-City) Train Tickets Before I Leave

Buying IC(Inter-City) Train Tickets Before I Leave

Apr 23rd, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Buying IC(Inter-City) Train Tickets Before I Leave

we have to take the train in Levanto CT to Genoa to Avignon in July. Do we need to purchase them before we leave or can we just get them at the train station in Levanto and just buy the TGV ones on the website?
Apr 23rd, 2010, 04:28 AM

For the TGV, you need reserved seats. You can get reservations at any train station just before you depart, but you are on the safe side if you reserve online. Only in case you are not sure when to depart it may be wise to buy tickets right before departure.
Apr 23rd, 2010, 06:24 AM

i think that should be any train station in France, not Italy so do reserve ahead the French TGV online, where you may well get much cheaper PREM fares rather than just showing up and the IC train in Italy is a snap just to get at the station - you will need more than one IC train as you will probably have to change in Genoa and Ventimiglia, the border station - due to a snafu with Trenitalia refusing to run cross border trains as previously done Milan-Genoa-Nice - buy all these IC tickets, which come with seat reservations, simply in Levanto or any Italian train station.

Search this Thread