Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Buying glass in Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/buying-glass-in-venice-413679/)

doodlebugg Mar 21st, 2004 02:35 PM

Buying glass in Venice

Where can you find the best deals on glass, in Venice or on Murano? I will be spending three days in Venice and would like to purchase some goblets, candlesticks and vases. I've heard the prices are better on Murano, and I've also heard they are higher there.
Any advice would be appreciated.

rex Mar 21st, 2004 04:52 PM

There are constant offers if a "free" (maybe I shouldn't put in quotes - - it really is free) private motorboat ride out to Murano from various hotels for a free demonstration of glassblowing, and "tour of gallery (galleries)".

The problem is, the tour is a rather intense high-pressure bombardment to buy, from a large inventory of stuff that has no prices, until you start asking (usually most of it is well into 4, if not 5 figures) - - and you feel like you cannot find the exit, and it's just an endless series of lower priced stuff, until you feel like "let me just buy something so I can get the heck out of here"!

Not the way to properly shop and compare prices.

But you can simply take the vaporetto out to Murano yourself (that's how you will get back to Venice after the free motorboat ride), and stroll shops and galleries.

Personally, I did not buy anything in/on Murano, in the pressure cooker or otherwise.

I would shop for what matches your taste and budget throughout Venice, if this is a significan tobjective - and then see what you think by spending a few hours for the Murano round trip.

The motor boat ride across the lagoon is cool, if choose to do that... just brace yourself. The glassblowing demonstration will last about 10 minutes.

Best wishes,

Rex

NYCFoodSnob Mar 21st, 2004 06:44 PM

Since Rex didn't really offer a good response in his long-winded and wordy reply (he seems to be everywhere lately...Rex, are you Ira?), first, you need to define what quality means to you.

If you're looking to purchase a collector's piece, designed and made by one of the masters, you'll get the best deal by going though an experienced broker who has personal relationships with the master designers. If you try to do this on your own and purchase directly from a studio on Murano, chances are you will overpay and often by a significant amount. Many collectors pieces are actually less expensive if purchased in Venice.

If you're just looking for something common, say any goblet under $100 or so and found everywhere, you'll pay the same whether you purchase on Murano or in Venice. Nobody's really interested in discounting the common, mass-produced stuff any more than it already is.

Tastes in Venetian glass vary dramatically and there's a ton of crap to be found on Murano and in Venice. The savings aren't significant until you play in the high-end, designer market and learn how to wheel and deal with the master artisans. This takes a bit of study and experience before you learn how to do it well. I've been collecting since 1986.

doodlebugg Mar 21st, 2004 08:56 PM

Thank you both for your thoughts. I have been reading "Made in Italy" by Laura Morelli, and I think she wrote the book for high end shoppers. She recommends going to Murano to buy because the people are more friendly and the prices are better. Maybe so for a vase signed by Valentino. That's a bit out of my price range.
Maybe I'll just buy some nice stationary instead. :)

Nikki Mar 21st, 2004 11:39 PM

I was in Venice last week and had read the descriptions of high pressure sales tactics in Murano but decided to take the private water taxi our hotel arranged anyway. Figured we could always just say no.

It was a beautiful day and the boat trip to Murano was really fun for my daughter and me. We didn't have any other opportunities to take a private water taxi and enjoyed this one. When we arrived at Murano we went into the factory and were given a private demonstration by "Master Giorgio". We both enjoyed this and I took some nice pictures.

After the demonstration a salesman did accompany us through the showrooms but did not pressure us to buy anything and he politely showed me the exit when I asked. Really glad we did this. Prices were marked on all items, even the very expensive ones. Oh yes, we did buy a souvenir there, for ten euros, one of the pieces that they make for the demonstrations. My mother bought a bird for me that she saw made in Murano forty years ago, and my horse is now sitting next to it on my shelf. And yes, I did see horses for less in other shops.

Both in Murano and in Venice, the glass that I liked was priced out of my range. So doodlebugg, I bought some nice stationery instead.

NYCFoodSnob Mar 22nd, 2004 04:50 AM

"Maybe so for a vase signed by Valentino."

Well, doodlebugg, based on this statement it appears you're not the customer I meant to address. My apologies.

By "designer" I meant Master Artisan. My use of the word designer wasn't any reference to the world of fashion.

Of course, every workshop on Murano will "claim" they employ a Master Artisan but everyone in the glass trade knows who the true stars really are. This information isn't very difficult to find out but research is time consuming and smart shoppers take the time.

As for horses and birds, modern glass design has very little appeal to me. Stores that offer this sort of stuff are everywhere and, frankly, 98% of them cater to mass tourism. If this is your idea of tasteful glass, my comments and suggestions here should be disregarded.

You don't need to spend a fortune to start a tasteful Venetian glass collection, even if you limit yourself to one piece. But, a little research and homework will go a long way in making sure you spend your money wisely and with artistic flair.

The very first goblet I purchased in '86 sold for $250, which I justified as a pair of shoes. This goblet was a small piece but the artistry was magnificent, and the joy of looking at it continues to last much longer than any pair of shoes.

ira Mar 22nd, 2004 05:01 AM

Hi doodle,

Are you looking for a serious piece of glass ($500) or a nice souvenier (<100)?

If it's the latter, just wander around and pick up what strikes your eye, as NYCFS said, all the prices are about the same.

If it's the latter, you will have to do some homework.

We purchased two signed pieces (minor masters) some years ago for about $250 each.

ira Mar 22nd, 2004 05:03 AM

PS,

One of the minor master works was found in the shops around San Marco square and the other on Murano.

wesley Mar 22nd, 2004 05:04 AM

Sorry NYCFS, with a name like doodlebugg, I doubt she was looking to shop at Pauly.

NYCFoodSnob Mar 22nd, 2004 05:07 AM

Shame on you, wesley. I never judge a book by its cover.

LN Mar 22nd, 2004 05:19 AM

Hi

I don't really know where you can get the best deals on glass but I can relate this to our first trip to Venice.

We saw all the lovely hand-blown glass in the shops and at Murano and finally we found something that we really liked that was signed, purchased it, and had it shipped home. That was the start of a habit we've continued in every other country we've visited. We buy one signed piece we really like, small or large, doesn't matter and ship it home.

We love our small collection and each time we look at the pieces we're reminded of our trips.

MFNYC Mar 22nd, 2004 05:38 AM

I think Murano is worth a visit. My first visit in Venice (almost 20 years ago), I took the private boat to a factory. I enjoyed the demo, and left (don't remember being bothered by a salesperson). This last time, 3 years ago, we were with our kids and just wanted them to see some nice glass blowing. This time we took the vaporetto. If I remember correctly there are a few stops in Murano. We did not get off on the one where the bigger factories seemed to be, but off the stop after that. We wandered around and asked several people where we might find a demo. Finally we were directed to a small workshop. There were 3 glass blowers working. 2 on a very decorative chandelier and 1 doing the touristy small figurines. We were all mesmerized watching these 2 men working together on the chandelier. There was no formal presentation, just these craftsmen at work. It was incredible watching them create these amazing chandelier pieces in just moments. I'm sorry to say I never made a note of this place but it was a real find. Also Murano is a great palce to stop and grab a bite, it's better value than Venice.

elaine Mar 22nd, 2004 06:11 AM

I think there's a large range in taste, value, and budget between an individual collectible goblet costing $250 and the cheap small glass souvenirs found all over Venice proper and Murano, in the, let's say, 30e and under range. The latter are the 6" vases and the animals and such, modern and in awful colors, and are probably not even made locally. I just saw remarkably similar doodads in Prague, also a tourist trap for glass buyers unless you do some serious compare and contrast.

On Murano, the company I use is Albarelli & Nielsen, ponte Vivarini 143, email [email protected]

They have some archival one-of-a-kind signed pieces by designers like
Seguso, and they also have more mass-produced vases and glassware, but many cuts (pun intended) above the souvenir
variety of items.

If you want an education in Venetian glass, ebay is one way to learn. Do a search on Murano glass. You will see an assortment of ugly glass items in garish colors, items like clown heads or fish or even vases and bowls. Occasonally there's a bargain if you're looking for something pretty to put on a shelf. And then every once in a while, rarely, you see a picture and read a description of
a really beautiful and unique piece.

Dick Mar 22nd, 2004 06:33 AM

I'm not sure that Ebay is a goow way to research Murano glass. Most of the "Murano " items on Ebay are really tacky.

I would suggest that you buy what you like. Whether your tastes are more discriminating or more touristy...buy what you can appreciate.

Don't buy for investment. Most items need to double in value for you to break even.

Either take your purchases with you or get FIRM price on shipping. I shipped a couple of pices home and the shipper wanted 3 times what the store told me shipping charge would be....plus duty on the purchase.

Nikki Mar 22nd, 2004 08:29 AM

Apparently I do not express myself too well at 3:39 AM while jetlagged. My intent in mentioning the horse and the bird was not to recommend them as serious purchases of Murano glass. I was simply responding to Rex's post about the high pressure salesmanship of the tours to Murano and saying that I found the tour enjoyable and not high pressured. All I ended up purchasing was a cheap memento of the experience, much as my mother had done on a similar tour many years ago. As I stated in my sleep deprived note, the glass I really liked was far too expensive, both on Murano and in Venice.

Ziana Mar 22nd, 2004 08:39 AM

I am always amused at how much Murano cost in my Bloomingdale's by Mail catalog and how much less in Ross...

How is it happening to get $385.00 statue for $20.00 ? So, buying it abroad could be "big, big mistake?"

Sue_xx_yy Mar 22nd, 2004 09:05 AM

Nikki, I am shocked. What do you mean, I can't buy a designer original for € 10? Thank goodness people here on Fodors' can set me straight...

:)

It's okay, Nikki, sleep-deprived or no, I got what you were trying to say. I'll probably end up buying one of those horse things myself. I remember those demonstrations, and they were quite amusing in and of themselves.

Besides, now your bird is much less lonely...

rex Mar 22nd, 2004 10:44 AM

<<the glass I really liked was far too expensive>>

Since the time I was about 20 years old - - as I have climbed the economic ladder of life - - this seems to have remained true...

The art I really want seems to cost (at least) twice what I am actually comfortable spending...

Peep Mar 22nd, 2004 11:26 AM

The Rialto bridge is a good place to buy glass. The stores there have a lot of the same stuff you see everywhere and since they have a lot of traffic, they have good prices. It seemed to me that the prices were higher on Murano. Maybe you could look all over Venice first then go over there.

doodlebugg Mar 22nd, 2004 01:51 PM

Thanks to all of you who wrote about your experiences. It gives me some good information to work with.
To Foodsnob and Wesley, there's no need to be snotty. You know nothing about me. I'm surprised at how abrasive some people can be on this board. It's really unnecessary.