buying GBHP on short notice from Canada

Mar 4th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

buying GBHP on short notice from Canada

Hi - Thought I'd share something helpful for trip planning to Great Britain...

We are in the midst of planning a three week trip to England and Scotland and are departing from Canada on March 8. As a result of reading many of the posts on this forum, we decided on March 1 (a little late, I know...)that we wanted to obtain Great British Heritage Passes, but we had a few problems: the passes are not available to be purchased within the UK, we would be unable to pick them up from the London site upon our arrival in the UK, we didn't have the 10 days required for delivery of the passes from the UK to our home, and we didn't want to pay the exorbitant delivery fee for FedEx delivery from the UK site.

Happily, we found the following web site and were able to order the passes online and have them delivered by FedEx for free...and they arrived at our home within 36 hours of placing the order. How's that for service!

http://www.raileurope.com/canada/rai...itage_pass.htm
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:47 PM

All god info - EXCEPT - the GBHP is available in the UK. You can buy it at LHR at GLA, at many tourist offices and at some of the covered properties - as long as you have your passport w/ you.

(You can't buy it at LGW, EDI or other airports)
Apr 5th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks Janis - I don't know how I got this wrong before we left but it sure put me in a panic in the week before we left! These are the things that keep trip planning exciting...
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:14 AM

Did you find this pass useful? Did it save you a lot of money and inconvenience?

We are going to England for a few days, then Scotland for 11 days. We have just purchased a 2-day London Pass which includes transportation and sightseeing places of interest for 2 days at 55 GBP. From London we go to Leicester, England for 2 days before we fly to Edinburgh.

We will be in Edinburgh for 2 days before renting a car for 8 days and ending up in Glasgow for a day.

From your experience, would you recommend this pass for us? As we have already purchased the London Pass, it likely wouldn't benefit us there...
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Well, I hope you get your money out of the London Pass. It is generally agreed that getting twofers from http://www.2for1entry.co.uk/ is a better way to save money.

And London Pass usually sells tourists more transport than they need - and at a markup. Most visitors don't need more than 2 zones except for getting to and from the airport, yet LP always includes 6.
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:40 AM

I won't discuss the London Pass since you already bought them.

But the GBHP will be a big money saver for the other places you are traveling. Convenience isn't really an issue since there are no queues to get inside many places - but it will save you a lot.

A very short list of things covered would include:

Near Leicester - Tamworth Castle, Ashby de la Zouch, Calke Abbey, Kirby Hall, the Triangular lodge (really eerie), Belvior Castle.

In Scotland - it all depends on which direction you are going but a few - Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle, Holyrood, Linlithgow, all the Border Abbeys, Glencoe, all the castles of the "Castle Trail", Blair Castle, Glamis, Scone, Bannockburn, Traquair House, the Hill House, Culzean, Caeverlock, and MANY more.
Apr 6th, 2006, 06:48 AM

"I won't discuss the London Pass since you already bought them." [Anyone care for a saucer of milk?]

Well, I'll discuss the London Pass/TfL ripoff for the edification of anyone who may stumble on this thread and might benefit from more information.
Apr 6th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Robespierre - When I posted that your post was not yet there (I started to post and then got interrupted). I wasn't being catty or referring to your info in any way. If you look at my post in that context you will realize I was just trying to not get into the London Pass debate, and simply answer raz' question about the GBHP.

(don't be so touchy)
Apr 6th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Okay - no fault, no foul.