Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buying France and Amsterdam train tickets online with US credit card

Apr 24th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Hello, I found a lot of messages on this topic online but would like to know someone's recent experience. Is it possible to buy train tickets on sncf or tgv europe using American credit cards online? When I tried to buy them on tgv with the 'print myself' option my payment was refused. My bank said they cleared it but I cannot find a booking online on tgv.

An older post (on a different website) said I should select the option to book and pick up at a station in France without having to pay now but this option does not seem to exist any longer.

I am desperate as my travel days get closer. Please help!! Will a debit card work better?
Thank you!!
Apr 24th, 2011, 07:00 AM

I did this a couple weeks ago. IIRC my first attempt didn't work, I had to use another credit card. In both cases I had warned the card people that I would be making a foreign purchase.

Maybe just try again.
Apr 24th, 2011, 07:11 AM

Did you receive an email confirmation of the booking? You should have, if the payment went through. With the confirmation number on that email you should be able to go back on the SNCF site and retrieve and print your tickets. If that fails, call the SNCF help number.
Apr 24th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

My bank's fraud dept called and that's how I knew charges had appeared twice. They have not yet appeared on my credit card online statement.
I did not receive a confirmation number. And when I went to tgv's website and put in my last name and month of booking, the results show 2 failed payments. I also got an email from them about payment error. I emailed them but the message is still trying to deliver to the address for 3 days.
I'm thinking of trying this again using sncf instead of tgv, as seat61 (a very helpful website on this topic) instructs. But when I just tried it on sncf I did not get the option to pick up tickets in Paris, which I currently understand to be the best option to avoid complications.
Apr 24th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Success! Bought tickets on sncf (using seat61 instructions) and chose the only option I got - print tickets myself - and my Wells Fargo credit card went through.
Apr 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM
ira

Hooray for you, slow
Apr 30th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira!