Buying Eurostar Tickets in Paris

May 20th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Buying Eurostar Tickets in Paris

Hi Again:

I posted a message about eurostar (YOUTH)prices from Paris to London on a specific day: June 8th. Oh, and I don't have any youth passes. I thought i didn't need one since I am only heading into London on a one way ticket.

The thing is: I have everything planned out and need to be at London a a specific day. Should I worry about getting the eurostar ticket when in Paris or must I be worried about it now? Another way to put it is will the price of the tickets go up or be higher when purchased in Paris?

Also, since it's my first trip Paris and I speak no french, will I have trouble knowing where to get the Eurostar tickets?

Sorry if it's been discussed before. I hope you understand my concern.

Thanks a lot!!
May 20th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Math,

I would recommend buying before you go on the Eurostar Website. Since you already know when you will be traveling it would be better to make your reservations now. They will be cheaper if you book in advance. Have a good trip.

Greg
May 20th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. The thing is. I didn't get the option of choosing YOUTH tickets at eurostar.com! Is there anyone who know why?
May 20th, 2003, 03:13 PM

I just tried it.. choose "tous les tarifs" on the first page, otherwise it just shows you the highest fares. Then when it displays a list of trains, choose "jeune". That gives you the Youth fares...it displayed as 75E for the 11:43am on the day you're departing.
May 20th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

usbeauty, i really really appreciate your help and hate to ask you again. did you pick United States and English as the language in the VERY First page? I also tried by picking France and French but even then did not see tous les tarifs.

THanks so much for your help though! I really do appreciate it.
May 20th, 2003, 04:20 PM

Hey it's no problem. I'm putting off finishing a paper for school.. so any excuse to procrastinate..

Yes, on the very very first page I clicked on the British flag and then the site is in English. Then click on booking and buying tickets. Below the boxes where you type in your destination, there is a fare box that permits you to choose Adult 12 -25 years old. Click on that then proceed.
May 20th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Oops that was for SNCF.com.
May 20th, 2003, 04:32 PM

Ok got it.. click on english in the lower right corner. Go to Book Now. Make sure you click on standard class, show all fares. Enter your cities.

When the train schedule comes up on the next page, next to Passenger #1, there's a chance to change the fare type to Youth 26 or under. That will reveal a fare of 75 E for your 11:43 trip to London. See if that works.
May 20th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Hey usbeauty. Thanks again! What school do you go to if you dont' mind me asking. I just graduated from college myself. I am from the U.S. and I don't see Under 26 as an option on Eurostar.com. The only choices are 4-11 and 12 and over... I wonder why...
May 20th, 2003, 05:04 PM

The options are on the next page after you have selected your city pairs. There's a drop down box that says "Please select a fare for your journey." You can then select YOUTH.

Congrats on graduating. I went to Columbia in New York and now I'm in the SF Bay Area in grad school.
May 20th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

usbeauty, I finally found the youth price at Eurostar.com. You have to pick UNITED KINGDOM and English on the VERY FIRST page!

But now my question to you and anyone who knows the answer is this: It's so weird that they only had the Youth Option to those who picked UK. Are the tickets not for people like me (in the US)?

Also, the one way trips are more expensive compared to the Round trips (36.5 pounds compared to 50 pounds)! Can I get the round trip and just not board the train? Or will they find out? Thanks again for all your help!
May 20th, 2003, 05:15 PM

I didn't pick UK on the first page and my fare was in Euros, not pounds. Plus www.raileurope.com offers the same YOUTH fare, so I assume it's valid for us. Sorry if I led you astray at all.

I don't know the answer to the round trip question. I don't see how they can find out.

May 21st, 2003, 07:04 AM

I have no first-hand experience, but have often seen advice here to buy the cheaper round-trip tickets and just not use the return portion.
May 21st, 2003, 07:25 AM
ira

Hi Math,

Buy the cheaper fare. The Eurostar people will not come after you if you don't show up for the return trip.