Buying Ave Tickets in Madrid

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying Ave Tickets in Madrid

We will be arriving on a Thursday in terminal 4 in Madrid. We want to travel by train to 2 spots- Day trip to Toledo, and a one way to Seville on a Sunday. I am trying to figure out the best way to buy these tickets. I have read that buying on line still requires you to go pick them up when it's the first time you have purchased on renfe. Is there a renefe office in terminal 4, so that we could buy all tickets upon arrival? Are there travel agents in town that are better to go to. We are staying at the Westin Palace, so it is close to the rail station. Should we go early and buy them a day before. Any help would be so appreciated.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:19 AM

I would buy the AVE tickets ahead.

I understand there can be lines at the Renfe office at the airport.

I am thinking the Toledo tickets aren't as difficult.

If it were me I would probably troop to the train station.

I suspect the concierge at the Westin might also be helpful but since nobody wants to wait that long for THE answer will top this for you.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Getting tickets to Toledo and Seville will depend on your dates of travel and which train you want to take. Some times are more popular than others.

If possible, it's always best to buy your tickets ahead of time and pick them up at the Renfe ticket window when you arrive at the airport instead of facing the possibility of waiting in a long line at the station.

If you use a local travel agent, which is also a good idea, they usually only charge 3 euros for making the reservations, but that's nearly half of the cost of a one-way ticket on the AVE to Toledo.

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM

I wouldn't miss a chance to see the Atocha train station. It's really cool.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM

go see atocha earlier the day you catch the train.

absoutely try other means to get those tickets.

it can be a nightmare.. which line?? numbers?? long lines..

pay an agent or do it on phone with hotelīs help. ( or at airport.. give it a try. if the line isn īt too bad, will not take any longer than a travel agent.)
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Unless it has changed...I think you can get them on line. Just go to the Renfe site. You can then p/u the tickets at any local RENFE.

Sevilla to Madrid is a cake-walk train ride (5 easy hours if I remember correctly).

Are you headed in the next few weeks? If so, Sevilla will be in full-bore fun mode.
The futbol team is close to finishing in first place...and the next two weeks will be crazy. They have become my adopted team. The place gets really into it...in and around the stadium (not far from the heart of Sevilla).

Great, great city!!! Make sure you walk the side streets (directly to the left of the Cathedral when you can see Alcazar Palace in front of you. Very old narrow moorish streets that lead to a few hidden gem restaurants (left hand side there is a patio behind a stone wall and gate...forget the name...but fantastic).

These streets will take you to these lovely little gardens!!

Enjoy.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

I am going in October, but am a very anal travel planner in terms of figuring out the best way to get from point A to B. So asking in advance. If I get the tickets at the airport Renefe station, is it located in terminal 4?
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Not sure. I know I was in Atocha.

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM

I would buy them online & pick them up at the train station. I did that for a train from Seville to Madrid & it was really easy. Just be sure to bring your confirmation # and credit card you used to buy them.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:51 PM
mjs

I bought mine at the American Express office.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 01:44 AM

I bought RENFE tickets on line but since it was the first time, I had to go to a counter in Atocha to verify my credit card. If you do this, you must get a number in the room where the tickets are sold, from a machine like they have at deli counters, and then get on another line for the verification. It was momentarily confusing.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:24 AM

I have read on http://www.madridman.com that there IS a new Renfe Office in Terminal #4 at Barajas airport. I have never bought tix there, but from my experience with Renfe's Terminal #1 Office, I never encountered long queues or any delay.
You're more likely to encounter queues at the AVE Ticket Counter in Puerta de Atocha. Yes, there's a separate ticket counter for AVE: in the Atrium north of the main lobby. I don't know if they sell tix for the new Toledo high speed line there.
BTW
pmgoosed: AVE Madrid-Sevilla takes 2.5 hours. If it runs more then 5min late you are entitled to a full refund.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Makes sense...I was SO TIRED...I didnt remember how long the trip took. It felt like 5 hours. I had just finished an engagement party in Granada...followed by a long bus ride to Sevilla...followed by the opening La Liga matchup of the year for Sevilla...followed by some late night "down by the river" drinking and eating.

I was up for oh....22 hours straight...and that train ride seemed SO MUCH LONGER.

Moral of the story: no more late night-early morning cocktails for me; Clearly, I cannot keep up with my Spanish brethren.

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I was wondering if I purchase tickets on-line for AVE train from Seville to Madrid - is there a RENFE ticket counter in Barcelona Airport (which is where we first arrive) that I would be able to pick them up at?? I am trying to avoid having to pick them up at the train station which is what I would have to do since it is my first time purchase.??
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Hi SBROWNELL: Here's another option: I bought my train ticket for Toledo ahead of time at the (very nice) travel agency in the El Corte Ingles department store in Madrid. (I bought a round trip ticket, with a seat reservation, from Madrid to Toledo). Nice if you don't mind paying the service fee.

*I bought the ticket 3 days before my trip to Toledo (they told me best to get it 3 days ahead or so, because it could fill up, depending on the time/day you're going). Not sure if that's true or not, but it worked for me. Have a great time!

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:52 PM

MandD writes: "I was wondering if I purchase tickets on-line for AVE train from Seville to Madrid - is there a RENFE ticket counter in Barcelona Airport (which is where we first arrive) that I would be able to pick them up at??"
At Barcelona you probably have to walk across the elevated walkway to the Renfe Station. You may be going that way anyway. Even though it's principally a Regional Rail station, any Renfe Ticket Office can sell you reservations and tix for AVE. Their computerized system is pretty good.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Renfe has an international phone number for information. You can call them and ask all the questions you wish, for instance, where is the Renfe ticket sale office,in terminal 4.
I always buy my tickets in Renfe in terminal 1, and it has worked perfectly. Sometimes it seems to be closed for a few minutes, the woman always shows up after a few minutes. Never a line in my experience.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Actually you can also e mail them and they respond.