Buying a Swiss Half Fare Card

Sep 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Buying a Swiss Half Fare Card

I will be leaving tomorrow for Switzerland (Lugano, Zermatt, and Grindelwald) and I'm getting thrilled. I would like to buy a Swiss Half Fare Card upon arrival but I'm not quite sure of the procedures.

From reading past threads, it looks like I can buy the card at the train station at Zurich Airport. But I have three questions: 1) do I get in line and buy the card at the regular ticket counter or is there some other designated place? 2) how do I validate the card to indicate the first day of use? 3)once I have purchased the card, do I need to have my passport available when buying individual tickets or is that only needed to purchase the card?

Thank you in advance.... Ricky B
Sep 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM

Bring a photocopy of your passport. The half fare card is good for 30 days, and the dates will be on it. They give you a plastic folding pouch to put it in along with your passport copy.

Go to the regular train ticket counter, show them your passport and request the 1/2 fare card. After that, just show the 1/2 fare card (with photocopy of passport picture) when you purchase tickets.
Sep 1st, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Budman, many thanks for your help!

Search this Thread