Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buying a coat/ long jacket in Paris for Iceland trip

Old Feb 28th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2 day stopover in Paris on the way to Iceland. We need to buy a coat/ long jacket suitable for Iceland in March for a larger lady. Would prefer something longer that covers a bit more than the short jackets sold mainly for ski type holidays. Don't want to wait for Iceland as we leave Reykjavik almost immediately. So any suggestions for shops in Paris with a selection of large sizes would be most welcome. (Of course we also don't want to spend all our time in Paris shopping for a coat!).
As always, many thanks in advance!
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 10:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Take a look at one of the C&A stores (at least half a dozen throughout Paris) but keep in mind that since the end of the winter sales, most of the things displayed in shops are for spring rather than winter.

http://www.c-and-a.com/fr/fr/corpora...-des-magasins/
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 10:17 AM

Have a look at Ulla Popken.

http://www.ullapopken.fr/fr/contenu/...vice/branches/
click on Paris fro a list of shops.

They also have an American site though whether the clothes are the same I don't know www.ullapopken.com
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 10:26 AM

Try Aigle. They have a number of shops in Paris.

http://www.aigle.com/en_fr/
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 11:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Good luck -- shopping in March is not really the right time to be buying winter clothing. Are you still at home? If so, you might have better luck looking in stores the lady is already familiar with that might still have some winter outerwear.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 11:46 AM

OK - you're in Paris for two days, then "leaving Reykjavik almost immediately"? So you probably don't want to spend a lot of money on something you're only going to wear while passing through town - and you'll probably be spending most of that time indoors, anyway.

Go to C&A - look for "grande tailles" - might be in a separate section from the other sizes or on another floor. There are long, medium and short coats here. If nothing fits in the womens' sizes, go look in the mens' department. You'll only have to spend about 125 EU tops, usually much less. Don't forget gloves and a hat.

The other stores that were mentioned always sell heavy to mid-weight coats, but are much more expensive. Since the really warm coats resemble over-stuffed plastic garbage bags with a little fancy stitching, and C&A has virtually the same type of thing, I'd recommend going there. Don't buy anything made of wool or any other cloth, which won't be warm enough and will make you miserable if the weather's wet.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 11:58 AM

Based on the forecast temps - which are similar to the current temps in Paris - I would not waste money on a heavy coat. I would just dress in layers with a heavy sweater on top and a lightweight raincoat, if necessary.

Unless you are going to be spending a lot time outdoors - but it doesn't sound like it since you mention that you are leaving almost immediately.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/is/rey...weather/190390
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies. When I mentioned "leaving Reykjavik almost immediately", I meant to go on a jeep tour for 6 days and we won't have time to shop in Reykjavik. I assume there would be a good selection there, but we don't want to risk not having the right size or not having enough time. We will be outdoors quite a bit, and although temperatures may seem "reasonable", I believe the wind can be vicious and most sites stress the important of the right clothing. Does anyone know "Au vieux camper" shops? Came across them while googling...
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Unless you are also camping, there is no reason to go to Au Vieux Campeur even though it is an excellent establishment. However, if you think you need ski wear type clothing, they do sell it in all seasons.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 01:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
personally, I would go for layers, especially if you're going to be in a vehicle most of the time. Even Jeeps have heating and you might regret having a heavy coat to wear with no room for another payer underneath, so that you're too hot with it on, and too cold with it off.

I'd look for a wind and waterproof outer layer, and then a fleece type layer under that [which will be ok in the Jeep] and a base layer below that.

in case it's really cold, you might buy a set of silk thermals too.

All of these can be used again, either on the rest of the trip or when you get home.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 01:34 PM

"Don't buy anything made of wool or any other cloth, which won't be warm enough and will make you miserable if the weather's wet."

This is patently wrong.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 02:31 PM

What Annhig said. If you are going to be outside a lot your outer layer has to be waterproof, not just water resistant.

I might ask the tour company if they also recommend waterproof bottoms.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 02:51 PM

I also agree with annhig's suggestion--it's what I have done for similar conditions. I don't understand why you can't buy before your trip. Paris in March seems like it would be difficult to find something.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 02:56 PM

This link reinforces the weather link provided above by f1racegirl:

https://weatherspark.com/averages/27...Region-Iceland
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 04:46 PM

I think it depends on how much you see the cold. Those temps are similar to ours that time of year and I never wear a down coat or even a warm long coat - it's overkill. I have a substantial leather jacket - mid thigh - that I wear most of the winter - with room for a thick sweater underneath if I want - but usually don't need it.

However I like the cold and can't stand heat.

For someone who feels the cold a lot a warmer coat might be necessary. But also important is a hat, scarf and gloves as well as booties that are waterproof with non-skid soles (no "fashion" leather boots).
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 11:09 PM

Ackislander - I was referring to the type of thin wool and acrylic material sold in C&A stores, which are virtually worthless when you are trying to keep warm.

To the OP - well, that changes everything!
Au Vieux Campeur has several stores on rue des Ecoles in the 5th arrondissement. Get layers, as everyone suggested. You'll need to peel like an onion when you're inside, but you'll stay very warm outdoors. Again, if they don't have your size in womens' wear, don't be shy about looking in the mens' department.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 03:15 AM

Then we agree, fuzz bucket

I was referring to the kind of wool found in my Woolrich Buffalo plaid shirts, my wool sweaters, and in my Loden coat. All are light, warm, and, most important of all, still warm when wet.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 12:33 PM

Akislander - guess you haven't shopped at C&A! It's not real wool, it's some kind of alien fabric - thinner than a paper towel and you can see right through the weave - but some people prefer to look stylish while they're freezing to death.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 09:47 AM

I used a mid weight soft shell jacket made by Karbon (ski-wear) and layers underneath, including polar fleece and another base layer. The outer soft shell layer is waterproof with a hood which came in handy. It is black and classic enough for day to day casual wear.

Check out ski wear stores-there are sales at this time of year.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. We have a good idea of what we need and where to get it. Kerouac, we do want to go to Au Vieux Camper to get Yaktrax (has anyone used them?). I see there are many shops, including at least 2 on Boulevard St Germain and several on Rue des Ecoles. Can you tell me if there is a flagship store - the biggest with the best selection?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -