Reload this Page >

Buy travels books now or wait

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Dick

Through this site and others, have pretty well maped out our first trip to Europe for 3 weeks in July 2002. <BR> <BR>We have the towns picked and the hotels booked. <BR> <BR>Do we need a travel book from Fodors or others? If we do, is it worthwhile to wait until the 2002 edition is out or is the 2001 o.k. I know with the 3A travel books, they change nothing from year to year. I know of a particular town in North Carolina that basically doubled in population in the last 10 years. 3A still lists the town at 43,000 and it is pushing 100,00. <BR> <BR>I'm wondering if the travel book might fill in any missing pieces in our puzzle? <BR> <BR>Dick

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Dick

Speaking of missing pieces. I left a 0 off. Should read "43,000 and it is pushing 100,000". <BR> <BR>Oh well, what's a 0 among friends. <BR> <BR>Dick

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 10:52 AM
wes fowler

Dick, <BR>I see no reason to wait for next year's editions of travel books. Consider that they invariably address three basic things: what to see; where to stay; where to eat. The Alps aren't going anywhere, nor are Munich's two Rathausen, nor is Rothenburg's night watchman. You know by now what you want to see and there's every indication that what you want to see will be there to be seen. You don't need a travel book for guidance in accommodations; they're already booked. Restaurant advice is always stale in any case; they've been reviewed now for publication in next year's guides. Ownership change, kitchen staff changes and any number of factors can result in guide references being outdated by the time they're put into print. <BR> <BR>As your departure time approaches, check websites such as this for current information and recommendations. You'll get far more meaningful, useful and current info.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Don

I think having a travel book is a good idea. Go with the 2001 edition instead of waiting for the 2002. If you've got your trip already mapped out, you can check out Web sites for your specific destinations--if anything significant has changed in the last year (new attractions, etc.), you'll be able to get information on them there. <BR> <BR>As for that town in North Carolina, sounds like my previous home for a lot of years--Cary, right?

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 01:05 PM
elaine

Any book is out of date a bit long before it comes out on the bookstore shelves. Museum hours can change, <BR>checkroom policies can change, prices change, hotel management changes, train schedules change, and we all know that airline schedules change. The essential facts change very seldom. <BR>Buy the book(s) now and enjoy doing your planning. Any detail that can significantly affect your convenience or your enjoyment, should be checked anyway directly with the provider closer to the time that you go.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Dick

Thanks again, Wes. You should write a book. A lot of my travel plans are from your suggestions. Can't wait. <BR> <BR>Don: Yes indeed, it is Cary. What an amazing story that has been. If you need to know about Cary, email me. I do not live in Cary, but am VERY familiar with their situation. <BR> <BR>Dick

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:15 AM
Bob

Do what I do on some trips: Go to your public library. Check out all the travel books you need to plan the trip. No cost. <BR> <BR>When you are ready to actually leave on the trip return to your library. Check out the travel books you want for reference while on your trip. Use them in Europe and check them back in when you get home. That way you always have pretty up to date books. Our library keeps the last few years and current. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:22 PM
minbrooklyn

Well, when you consider that the trip is costing thousands, a couple of travel books seem like a good investment, imho. I was in the bookstore a few days ago and 2002 editions are already on the shelves. Since you're not going until July, why not get the most updated travel books? Take a little time, look through several, and see which ones fit your interests the most. Have a great trip <BR>