Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Buy travel card in London or part of package

Buy travel card in London or part of package

Aug 29th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Buy travel card in London or part of package

I plan to be in London in January for 6 nights, and book thru Virgin vacation. Should I buy travel card (tubes/buses) as part of vacation package or wait until arriving in London to buy? Which way is cheaper? How many zone do I need, 2 or 6, and how many days?
Aug 29th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Most tourist attractions are in Zone 1, a few (zoo and Greenwich) are in Zone 2. Your most economical approach will be to wait and buy a 7-day pass for zone 1 for £16 after you arrive; if you're going to need zone 1 &2, the pass will cost £19.
Aug 29th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I was just about to post when Anonymous beat me to it. It is almost never a good deal to pre-purchase a travel pass as part of a package.

It is so easy and inexpensive - just get a zone 1 pass when you get to London. If you plan on taking the tube in from LHR which is in zone 6, still only get a zone 1 pass and pay the small supplement for the trip.
Aug 30th, 2003, 05:35 AM

It is not always cheaper to wait to make the purchase in London. Sometimes the airlines have established a brochure price that they honor even though the pound price may have increased and the pound appreciated in value. We found that with BA when we traveled in March. The brochure was dated April 1, 2002 to Mar 31, 2003 and priced in dollars.

Search this Thread