Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buy train tickets before or while you are there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Lauren

Is it cheaper to buy train tickets online before you go or to wait until you get there? From what I saw online, they seem to be cheaper in Europe, but I'm not sure. <BR><BR>We are going to Europe in March and are taking a few night trains between cities - and we'd like a couchette. <BR><BR>Better to reserve before we go or no?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Rex

Buy them there.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Bob Brown

Depending on where you are and where you are going, you can reserve here and pick up over there. For example, I bought TGV tickets from Paris to Bern through the SNCF website, paid for them with my credit card, and collected the actual ticket after I arrived in Paris.<BR><BR>If you buy through Rail Europe, the price will be higher. I have seen examples where the cost, by the time you added on the mailing fee, was 87% higher. Granted, that is an extreme case, but 25% higher is relatively routine in my experience.<BR>If you are traveling on a Sunday, I suggest buying ahead of time.<BR>I know I tried to find a non smoking seat on the Z&uuml;rich-Munich train on a Sunday just recently and no seats were available. I had a choice between smoking and first class.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Lauren

Thanks for the info! We'll be going from Munich - Prague - Vienna - Venice. Raileurope.com prices did seem pretty high to me, compared to what I paid last time I was there. <BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Guido

Lauren: My wife and I are doing almost the same schedule on train as you are: Munich, Prague, Vienna, Venice and then to Z&uuml;rich. Three of the four trips will be on night trains<BR><BR>After some research, I have decided to purchase the point-to-point tickets and make the reservations when I get there.<BR><BR>As I'm almost obsessive in my trip planning, this creates some anxiety, but so far I am handling it.<BR><BR>Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.<BR><BR>Best of luck in you trip.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:23 PM
up with pup

pup it up<BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:42 PM
ebp

just returned. purchased ticket to brugges from amsterdam, same day. purchased ticket from bruxelles midi to charles de gaulle, same day. no problem either time.