I am trying to decide if I should buy my train tickets ahead of time on trenitalia or wait and buy them at a TI when in Italy. I will be in Italy in August, so it will be crowded on trains, I'm assuming. I am looking at tickets for Venice- Florence and then Florence -Rome. The pros of buying ahead are convenience as I don't have to find a TI and buy tickets when I have limited time, can pick seats, will be assured of getting a reservation, etc. Cons are I have to choose an exact time for travel.
If I buy a base fare ahead of time, is it easy to change the time of my ticket if I want to? How do I do this? At a TI or at train station? Or is it easier to just buy a ticketless ticket at trenitalia while in Italy? Reason: I will have a better idea of when I want to leave each city when I am in the city. For example, I only have 1.5 days in Venice, so I may want to leave for Florence later in the day instead of earlier.
I've also thought about buying the mini fares (40 percent savings), but not sure I want to be locked into a specific departures time. Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 2 My France Vacation
- 3 Paris November 2017
- 4 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 5 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 6 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland
- 7 GTG Paris December 2017
- 8 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 9 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 10 London vacation rental agency
- 11 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 12 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 13 Italy with kids - off the beaten bath
- 14 Trans Siberian Train
- 15 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 16 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 17 Iceland driving in March
- 18 Advance tickets for Sagrada and Park Guell
- 19 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 20 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 21 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 22 ICELAND in February
- 23 The World's Greatest Churches
- 24 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 25 11-12 nights in Portugal
Buy train ticket for travel in Italy online or wait and buy one at a TI?