Travel in Sicily (Sept/Oct timeframe)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone traveled in Sicily that can either recommend a one-week organized tour or driven themselves around the island?
My husband and I were planning on renting a car and developing an itinerary to see the major sites, but some of the guidebooks warn about parking and navigating being a major dilemma. Any advice would be appreciated. We're not going until end of Sept/early October this year. Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Click on my name to find my trip report from 2005. We had 15 days total but had the car for 10 days---did not need it in Palermo and Taormina. You will like Sicily.
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:20 PM

I loved Sicily. Our two weeks there in June 2010 left me with a long list of places to see or re-visit on a return trip. Here's the link to my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ecial-trip.cfm. Our car had a built-in navigator and we found our way with only minor glitches. Freeway driving was significantly easier than Southern California. Dealing with pre-car streets could be challenging but no more than in any other European city or town.
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM

We are just back from Sicily. Having rented a car which we picked up at Catania's airport (no hassle and upgraded to a Mercedes), we drove to Taormina where it was not needed for our time there. We used it primarily to drive to Syracusa, Agrigento (where we also stayed) and Palermo.

No problem with parking or driving, although you must concentrate on the traffic flow in the cities. Drivers there follow the "he who hesitates, is lost" mantra: take the lane you want, and take it NOW." Drivers will pull up behind very closely and wait for you to move over a lane. It's aggressive driving, but we had no problem nor did we see one on our travels.

Use a GPS or know your route well in advance, so as to avoid confusion and getting lost on narrow streets. If you do find yourself on a narrow street, mind your mirrors and fold them back if you don't think you can get out comfortably.

We saw parking places available everywhere we went; some are easy to slide into, others are tight, like anywhere in Europe.

Lastly, Sicily's highways are excellent. They are toll roads but don't worry if you don't get a pay-as-you-exit ticket for whatever reason: just let the person at the exit know where you got on and pay the amount she indicates.
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:42 PM

I should add that if you are going to visit Villa Romana del Casale (a must in my book), there is ample parking just inside the entrance which is manned.

About a km or so before the entrance, there is a great little restaurant at the bend in the road (sounds like a wonky direction, but you can't miss it), that serves the best gelato I have ever tasted.
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Or if you don't want to drive you can see Sicily with public transportation:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-november.cfm
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob, for directing me to your trip report from 2005. It was a great read and I have made notes on several of your suggestions. Must admit, though, that I am a little leary now of driving ourselves around Sicily based on one of your last comments about needing to be an experienced European traveller. We are usually well prepared, but.....
thanks again... Pat
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

bobthenavigator - Thank you for your indepth travel report!Loved reading it. Wow! You two sure get around!

bon_voyage - Thank you for your excellent trip report! I have noted many of your tips on sites and restaurants. Some of our best travel memories are meals we had in charming places, so was glad to hear some great recommendations.

muskoka - Thanks for the heads-up on the GPS. We will likely be armed with both maps and a GPS. We'll screw up our nerve for the city driving and take the plunge. Villa Romana del Casale is on the agenda, so we'll watch for the gelato place. It will be a wonderful reward for navigating Sicily!

Marija - Thank you for the link - we'll check it out.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM
kja

> Must admit, though, that I am a little leary now of driving ourselves around Sicily based on one of your last comments about needing to be an experienced European traveller.

The 1st time a rented a car in Europe was in Sicily. I used it for 3 days to get from Palermo to Siracusa with various stops en route. I found the roads very good, but the drivers made me exceedingly aware of the need to be a defensive driver. I've driven under much worse circumstances, though, and am glad that I rented the car for that interval - having the car permitted me to see some things that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to see given the time I had available.

If you don't want to rent, you can get around Sicily with public transportation. Search this board or get a guidebook that covers key transportation info, such as Rough Guide or Lonely Planet.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight kja - we have rented the car for Sicily and mostly drive defensively, especially in a foreign locale, so I guess we shall see what comes!
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:02 PM

Freedom, I think you have a good idea to have maps as back-up. We had a great time driving around Sicily. We just love the freedom of a car.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 05:14 AM

we hired a car a few years ago in Sicily. We picked up the car in Palermo and drove to Agrigento, Ragusa, Taormina and left the car in Messina.

The only problems we had were:
- narrow streets in Ragusa require good spatial relations and a small car. Nonetheless it was fantastic.
- along the coast from Taormina to Milazzo there are a number of tunnels. Be careful wearing sunglasses as you go from light into dark and it is sometimes really hard to see.

However, a car gives you great flexibility.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sundriedpachino and MNUTTALL for your invaluable feedback. We are considering purchasing a small GARMIN GPS device to take with us for navigation purposes OR will maybe use the GoogleMaps feature on my phone. I am concerned the latter option may cost us our weight in gold in roaming charges though. Any suggestions on methods of navigation?

Bottom line though: I will definitely get my hands on a good road map.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM

I used google maps on my iPhone in Italy. That was expensive.
There is an app that you can buy in the app store (they have versions for iPhone/iPad and also Android) for somewhere around $50, which my husband used, and it worked very well.
It's called Co-Pilot Live.
With that app, it downloads the maps on your phone or iPad, so you don't need to use data.

Just keep in mind that using your phone for a navigation device uses a lot of power, so you would need to have a car charger along for your phone.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion and the cautionary note re phone charger, sundriedpachino. Great idea. We will consider taking our iPad and downloading that App.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 05:40 PM
kja

> you would need to have a car charger along for your phone

and keep in mind that some car rental companies disable the cigarette lighters in their rental cars. I don't know if any companies do that in Sicily, but I have encountered it elsewhere. So if you are using any devices that might run low on power, consider turning them off whenever you don't need them - even if for only a few dozen kilometers!
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

kja - Thanks for the feedback on conserving power on our electronic devices while driving. We would never have thought about whether the cigarette lighter is diabled, so will inquire to the car rental company. Thanks again - we'll definitely benefit and are thankful for everyone's tips & experience!