Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buy Carte d'Orange at CDG-Etoile or at CDG airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we arrive at CDG we intend to take the "Car Air France" to Charles DeGaulle-Etoile. From there we will take metro line 6 to our hotel. Is it less hassle to buy our Carte d'Orange at Etoile, rather than at the airport, and do they in fact sell them at Etoile? Thanks!

Kevin
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:09 PM

I'd get the CO at Etoile - it's a very large metro/RER station...otherwise, you'll spend time at CDG getting to the RER station, whereas at Etoile you just go down the stairs/escalator to the ticket windows.
p.s. I don't remember which street corner the AF bus drops off at - there are, what, 12 streets at the Arc, so be sure to have a street map to figure out which way to walk to get to the Champs E.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Travelnut. That was my hunch. The AF bus drop off in on Ave. Carnot, and they have a schematic on the website where I can figure out how to find the Metro.
http://www.cars-airfrance.com/
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Don't let anybody 'help' you buy tickets, just go straight to a window ("billets&quot and leave someone in your party to watch/guard the bags. You can pay w/cash or credit card. Sometimes they'll offer to assemble the id w/your photos, othertimes they might push all the parts out to you to fix up yourself.
Stick a 1x1 photo in the corner where it is indicated, write your pass id# on the little metro ticket, put these 2 pieces into the gray plastic sleeve and off you go.
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Forgive the impertinence, but if you're going to schlep luggage into the Métro and from there to your hotel anyway, why don't you take the RER from CDG to Denfert Rocherau, and change to Ligne 6 there?

It'll save you a little time, a little walking, and a little money.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut & Robespierre:
Thanks for your advice. I guess the RER B might be a better option.
What drew us to the Air France Cars was advice here that the ride was more comfortable, that being above ground provides scenic vistas that we would miss on line B, and that the "pickpocket problem" is lessened. We are travelling light so the luggage schlepping is not a big issue, with just carry-on bags and a light shoulder bag each (I haven't worn so much polyester since the 70's but it crushes down nicely and washes & wears well). I guess the other option is to take the Roissy bus to Opéra, buy our Cartes Oranges there, and then we could take line 8 to our destination (La Motte Picquet-Grenelle).
I'm a little uncertain now, but leaning towards the original plan. Les cars Air France is €12 each one way. I wonder what the RER fare is?

Kevin
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM

I think you are right about a couple of those things, hikerboy. I really like the Air France bus. I don't think the vistas are really that important on that ride from the airport, but it is kind of fun just to see some of a new city from a relaxed position upon entry, I think.

The RER is around 7-8 euro, I believe, from CDG into the city. YOu wouldn't want to buy a 5-zone Carte Orange for that trip if that was the only reason you needed a zone 5, so you should stick to the original plan on that. I do not think taking the RER to Denfert is going to save you any particular time, anyway, over the bus to Etoile.

Old May 5th, 2005, 10:20 AM

The AF bus is &euro;12 one way or &euro;18 r/t. The RER is &euro;7.40 each way if you get a 5-zone CO for &euro;30.20 instead of a 2-zone for &euro;15.40, so the cost differential is <i>de minimus</i>. But if you are planning to see Versailles, using the 5-zone CO will get you there on the RER for &quot;free.&quot;

Now that I know you're going to La Motte Picquet-Grenelle, I would suggest RER B to St-Michel Notre-Dame and M&eacute;tro Ligne 10 from Cluny. Total time enroute: 60 minutes.

But since you're traveling light, you might want to see a bit of the city by coming in to Gare du Nord via RER, then riding the #42 bus to Alma-Marceau, and the #80 to your destination. This route involves the least walking: only from the train to the bus stop outside GduN. The transfer at A-M is accomplished by getting off the 42 and on the 80 at the same stop. The 42 goes right past the Opera and Madeleine, Concorde, Tuileries, Champs Elysees, and over the bridge to the Eiffel Tower - a very scenic ride.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Christina &amp; Robespierre.
Thank you both for your insights. We will buy Zone 1-2 Cartes Oranges, as we are planning to stay within Paris for the week. We arrive on the morning of the last day of May (Tues) and leave by TGV for Avignon on June 6 and will spend 10 days exploring the Luberon, Aix and Arles.
I find Robespierre's suggestion very appealing! I was at first overwhelmed and confused by the bus routes in Paris, but I've just had a look at the &quot;Plan Interactif&quot; on the RATP web site, and it is fantastic. With what I can see on that interactive map, and together with Robespierre's guidance about where to board and disembark, it now looks like we will take the RER B to Gare du Nord (I'm assuming I can buy Carte Orange there, it's a big place), then bus #42 to Alma-Marceau, and bus #80 to La Motte Picquet-Grenelle.
I was a little intimidated about using the buses, though we were going to attempt a run anyway on Saturday, just for fun, and go to the March&eacute; des Puces, St-Ouen, taking the Metro-8 from La Motte Picquet-Grenelle to Grands Boul, and then bus #85 to Paul-Bert.
We are also planning that day to ride the Montmartrobus, local bus (#18) which looks like a great way to get a feel for Montmartre. (That idea came from Beatchick here on the Fodors forum). Who would ever have thought that a simple question about where best to buy the Carte Orange would lead to all this? That's one of the great things about this site, and the people who share what they know on it.
Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

Kevin
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:06 PM

You can buy your Carte Orange at CDG when you get your RER tickets.

Note that the Montmartrobus and Balabus only run on Sundays and Holidays.
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Remember to bring a photo for the Carte D'Orange from home. While you can get the photo taken in the booths at the metro, the ID size is four euros.

Old May 9th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Also, remember that the Carte Orange works from a Monday to a Sunday.

Do they stop selling passes for that week in the middle of the week...maybe Wednesday? I'm not entirely sure, but I think I read this somewhere...can anyone verify?
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Carte Orange is sold from Friday through Wednesday. No passes are sold on Thursday.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Listen to Robespierre - everything he has posted on this is EXACTLY correct and will not only save you time, money and hassle, but will indeed give you a scenic cross-Paris bus trip.

Carte Orange is the smart way to go if you'll be using RATP during the week.

I enjoy a mix of busses and Metro -- and many of the RATP busses now have a voice that tells you the name of the upcoming bus stop/cross-street.

Use the Metro when time and speed is important, use the busses when you want to see the wonderful streetlife that is Paris (avoid them before 9:30am and after 4:00pm due to rush hour).

Have a great time!

Rick in Maryland