Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buy Belleek and Waterford in Kenmare, Killarney or Dublin Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have any favorite shopping places in Kenmare or Killarney for Belleek and Waterford, or should we wait for Dublin Airport?
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM

There is an 'Outlet Mall'- type shopping center, just up from the train station, in Killarney, that has a Blarney Woolen Mills Store.

In town center is a Christy's.

The traditional caveat in Ireland is that if you see something you like -- grab it -- as you may not see it elsewhere.

Prices are generally pretty consistant.

Bob
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM

I prefer Quills shop myself. The cheapest place to purchase Belleek and Waterford is Ebay. I will never buy it in Ireland again!
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

I agree onetwo, but my sister-in-law loves to shop and I think just wants a piece or two ~ the experience of buying it in Ireland will probably be more important!

Quills in Kenmare was mentioned elsewhere as a good place.

Might there be sales in October?
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Know you didn't say you were going to Belleck however just wanted to mention that we did go to the factory in Belleck and had a wonderful time shopping there. Many bargains!!!
You can have it shipped home and then you don't pay the vat tax. I should have done that as I never received my vat tax back after completing the paperwork and doing everything following instructions.

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 01:59 PM

It is Belleek not Belleck! There will probably be sales in October. Whether Belleek or Waterford will be on sale -- who knows? Like the Itallian Chauffeur said buy it when you see it.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM

I bet the cheapest place to buy Waterford is in Hungary (Ajka) or Slovenia (Rogaska).

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the correction - have been there and done that and have Belleek so I should know better.

http://www.belleek.ie/
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Blarney Woollen Mills is having an online sale today and tomarrow with free shipping. Might be worth a look for crystal and Belleek, Have fun
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM

I buy Waterford at the airport in Dublin. They often have very good deals.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM

At $1.49 or there abouts to the Euro, the best prices are at home. Try Costco which has a good selection or from Cash's of Ireland catalog
http://www.cashs.com/action/about
They have a great product selection and the delivery service is right to your door. No need to carry everything around the country with you.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM

I'm in Ireland (Killarney at the moment). I grabbed my latest Cash's of Ireland on the way out the door to familarize myself with prices. Even though the euro has dropped to 1.28, and even with the VAT refunds, Cash's prices are much more favorable than shopping in Ireland, and most crystal (and other products) ship free. Unless I happen across something truly unique and special, I haven't seen anything worth hauling home.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM

And seeing as how Waterford is closing the factory in Ireland and will only retain a "tourist center" at the site, what is the point? The Waterford will all be made in Eastern Europe or elsewhere and will no longer be an Irish product.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM

Off-season: Carrolls in Dublin may have some good 'sales' on Belleek and Waterford Cristal, even some woolens (i.e., Irish stuff like Aran Island sweaters & Blackthorn walking sticks).

Their main store is on O'Connell Street about 4-blocks from the River Liffy, just past where the Monument used to be.

I know that may sound like: where the old red barn used to be; but I believe the base of the Monument is still there. Just as an 'aside: I climbed the Monument back in 1952.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:44 PM

I would like to jump in to put in a word for Connemara Celtic Crystal in Moycullun, outside of Galway. We happened upon it by chance last spring and picked up some small pieces that we will see nowhere else. I also got some good deals on Galway crystal in Duty-free at Shannon. I never really cared for crystal so couldn't bring myself to pay for Waterford at home or in Ireland, but somehow got started collecting Galway crystal. Go figure.