Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   business or coach (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/business-or-coach-278440/)

Tom Dec 9th, 2002 07:24 AM

business or coach

Going to fly to Paris for xmas. Have the miles to upgrade if needed and space is available. Is American Airlines good in business class to Europe? Its a 777 and I know it's a long flight but is it worth it?<BR>Have flown coach to Europe and it was'nt too bad since I was able to sleep. Just wondering if business is worth it and the miles....

xxx Dec 9th, 2002 07:54 AM

If you've the opportunity, take the bus. class!

bettyk Dec 9th, 2002 08:06 AM

I'm sure Business Class would be great, but we flew AA to Frankfurt from Houston in May on a 777 and was really impressed with the improved comfort level. Lots more leg room and comfy seats/headrests.

yes Dec 9th, 2002 08:56 AM

Definitely upgrade. Flew AA Business (777) to Paris from DFW last month. Extremely comfortable, unbelievable amount of room and we were even able to sleep a few hours. The food was actually good and the service was very friendly.

BTilke Dec 9th, 2002 09:05 AM

I flew AA business to Chicago last week from Frankfurt. Very comfortable and I don't think there were any bad seats in business. Food was pretty good, service excellent. The personal DVD players offer a of choice (although it's awkward finding a place to put them when the food service comes around). If you can only upgrade one way, I'd pick the way back--it's an all daylight flight, so you're awake most of the time (at least I was). I don't sleep well on planes, even in business. <BR>For anyone fare shopping, my round trip biz fare (starting in Dusseldorf with a short biz class Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt) was about $3600.<BR>

sian Dec 9th, 2002 09:05 AM

This is really a no-brainer. Upgrade on this 7-9 hour flight if you have the milage. What else are you going to save them for? A 2 hour domestic trip in first?

Patrick Dec 9th, 2002 09:33 AM

Although the coach configuration on American has improved dramatically with their expanded seating, Business class is a huge difference and will definitely spoil you. On the other hand I flew British Airways business and there was little difference between it and coach -- only a little more space, not a lot, and we got exactly the same meal as coach except ours was on china instead of plastic.

flight class snob Dec 9th, 2002 01:09 PM

I have gotten spoiled with first class and business class upgrades thanks to my honey's enormous supply of frequent flyer miles!<BR><BR>ANYTHING more than 4 hours --I prefer the extra space and comforts of the upgrades. AND you can help avoid COACH CLASS SYNDROME---the blood clots in the legs that lead to unexpected deaths.<BR><BR>I called a few weeks ago when the seats became available on US Scare for my trip to Europe next September, they ONLY had coach seats available(released). I was sooo bummed. Thankfully I waited--called last week and scored Envoy Class!!! 8 hours to Frankfurt from Pittsburgh in coach was not appealing.<BR><BR>I feel more refreshed and relaxed when I fly upgraded. More room, usually better service, food, movies etc....usually fewer kids crying while you are trying to sleep.

777 fan Dec 9th, 2002 01:20 PM

Hi Tom, I'd say definitely go for it...what better value is there for the miles? I fly from NY so only get the 777s on London trips, AA still flies 767s from JFK to CDG. Either way, I always upgrade to buisness.<BR><BR>The 777 are unbelievably roomy in biz and they have built in video screens that come up from the arms/DVD and a good selection of current-ish films. The little individual units are on the 767s. The very best part of flying AA buisness in either plane tho is the use of the Bose noise cancelling headphones! I've asked Santa to bring me my very own pair as can barely stand to fly without them!

BA business? Dec 9th, 2002 01:41 PM

Hi Patrick are you sure you didn't fly with British Airways World Traveller Plus class? Its basically a premium economy with much bigger seats but economy class food - that is, its not the same as Business class which has better food.

GabrielZ Dec 11th, 2002 02:55 PM

Definitely upgrade on American for trans atlantic flights. Well worth it. However, I caution you to do it right away. The seat capacity for upgrades to Business or First class is very limited. They allocate the seats sparingly for upgrades so they can sell the seats to business travellers.

Boots Dec 11th, 2002 05:56 PM

If Northwest Airlines is one of your choices and if the available dates suit you, they have a great fare to Paris over Christmas. I bought Business/First Class (They are the same) for $902 roundtrip from the Midwest. Go to nwa.com for info.