Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Business Class from Los Angeles to London, Air New Zealand or United???

Aug 14th, 2000, 08:52 PM
richardab

I'm flying to Business Class from Los Angeles to London next week. My airline choice is United or Air New Zealand. Which is better?

Aug 14th, 2000, 09:04 PM
elvira

United is having terrible problems with cancelled and delayed flights. I wouldn't fly with them right now.

Aug 14th, 2000, 09:34 PM
Tony

Air New Zealand have a pretty solid reputation, plus along with Qantas they are really experienced at the long haul flights, which can make a difference.

Aug 14th, 2000, 09:44 PM
Audrey

Definitely Air New Zealand. I've taken that flight on business and the service is very good. (The plane was a little old but I'm pretty sure United is worse). I have yet to enjoy a flight on United.

Aug 15th, 2000, 06:22 AM
anniel

I have never travelled business class but this is a plug for Air NewZealand which according to what we read in our reports in UK have a good service plus one of the greatest space ratios between seat rows of all airlines. If I was lucky enough i would certainly take Air New Zealand.

Aug 15th, 2000, 12:00 PM
lisa

You couldn't pay me to fly United at the moment. It is not handling its labor problems very well; they seem to be doing as little as possible to mitigate the effects on passengers. By contrast, everyone I know who has ever flown Air New Zealand has had good things to say about the experience.

Aug 15th, 2000, 12:12 PM
Thyra

United Airlines has been all over the news lately, delayed flights or cancelled flights. Miserable employees even their stock is falling. You would not catch me on a United flight this year.

Aug 15th, 2000, 05:08 PM
richardab

Actually, I love United Airlines. Most of the cancellations are not effecting long haul Internatinal flights. They are mostly small short haul flights out of Chicago and Denver to nig-nog places. I checked their flights to London all this week and there are no delays other than the usual LAX stuff. I decided to fly ANZ instead because its an earlier flight and a different experience. The truth is that United probably won't let the labor issues aeffect their international flights or routes the are most popular. I am taking United on my return flight from Paris. No big deal, Paris isn't a horrible place to be stranded.

My only question is, If United Piplots are co-owners of the airline, why the heck would they do something that would affect their stocks? It doesn't seem right. There is an old saying, "Don't sh*t where you eat."

Aug 15th, 2000, 06:02 PM
Stuart

Absolutely no choice. ONLY Air New Zealand. United is BAD

Aug 18th, 2000, 06:12 AM
richardab

And... they are offering me free limo service to the airport!

Aug 19th, 2000, 06:47 AM
AlaninNY

ANZ Rocks! The best airline!

Aug 21st, 2000, 12:41 PM
rob

Troll?

This is the dumbest question I've ever seen posted on this sight.

In terms of reliability and competent, friendly service, United was the worst airline on earth BEFORE all this new labor trouble started. Now they're just off the scale.

I wonder how many complaints United's Star Alliance partners need to receive before the Alliance dumps United altogether. It must really embarrass them.

Aug 21st, 2000, 12:52 PM
kam

We are flying Aer Lingus to Shannon via LAX next month. To connect from the Bay area we were scheduled on UA Express. We have decided to take SWA instead after looking up the UA flights arrival records. We were booked on a flight that has a 10% on time arrival-=---that's pretty unbelievable!!! Air New Zealand is supposed to be super. No choice! Beware Chicken Little, the Friendly Skies are Falling!