7 Days in Rome (July 13th to July 19th) - Itinerary Planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan seven days in Rome for my wife and I (26 &26). I want to maximize time while minimizing costs (thus maximizing the use of rail passes, cheap days for ticketing... etc).

July 13th: Arriving in to FCO at 5:45 PM and traveling to our rented apartment near Navona Square. Don't plan to do much this day other than possible walking to find a dinner restaurant.

Saturday July 14th-Wednesday July 18th: Free.

July 19th: Need to be to FCO for a 1:35 flight home..

All of the classic tourist sites in Rome are on our list (don't expect to spend too long in Museums). I taught Roman history for several years and am interested in the classic historical sites. Would also like to find a good day trip to someplace more laid back than Rome.

I'm comfortable enough with doing everything on my own so save money on tour fees and the sorts but know I'll need to plan extensively in order to maximize our time.

Where do I start?
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:16 AM

Where do I start?

With the Michelin Green Guide to Rome. And a detailed map of the city.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I should mention, I just ordered the Rick Steves 2012 book just to get an idea. We can probably work out the day to day planning.

But, I want help with big picture planning.

Do I get an rail card, is there a best way to maximize admissions into popular sites, etc, etc??
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:39 AM

No, you don't get a rail card. You can get a 7-day transport pass for 16 Euro (currently; it will go up on June 1). One ticket valid 75 minutes for bus, Metro, tram, train or combination is 1 Euro (currently), so a pass *may* be worth it, but most people, particularly if they're staying in the historic center, don't use public transport more than twice a day.

There's the Roma Pass, valid until midnight of the third day you use it. It's 30 Euro, gives you two free admissions, reduced admissions on other sites and free public transport. It *may* be worth it if you use the two free admissions for high-admission sites.

If your focus is ancient Rome, I suggest you invest in another guidebook. There are ancient Roman sites galore that Rick Steves doesn't mention and may never have heard of.

For a laid-back place outside Rome, consider Orvieto: medieval but with an underground Etruscan city.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Rick Steves may be good for an overview, but personally I'd send it back and get the Green Guide.

Another great side trip is Ostia Antica, which you can reach on public transportation.

Don't buy a rail card.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:45 AM

Jerlon

R.Steves is good for an overview, but I also likethe Green Guide. Get Streetwise Rome map. Very detailed and laminated. All sites,churches,piazza indexed.

Determine your top sightseeing priorities and plan 1of those for each day. Plan lower priority sights nearby geographically in order to ensure seeing whats most important to you and maximizing your time.

I wouldalso highly rec Orvieto. Lovely town with much to see. Great resteruants and galleries too
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.romapass.it/?l=en>>

link to the Roma pass. turns out that contrary to popular belief, it's still going, but the "Roma e Piu" has been discontinued.

as well as deciding whether to get the pass, the main trick is ensuring that you group the sights you are going to see together in a sensible way - you don't want to be zig-zagging across the city as you'll soon be exhausted.

in a week you might manage 2 day-trips - ostia antica, tivoli, and orvieto all spring to mind. in July the Villa d'este in tivoli would be lovely - the fountains in the gardens are very appealing - but the bus ride was hot in April. i might want to go on a private coach tour with air-conditioning!
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Given your interest in roman History and if you can fit it in your budget, I would highly recommend a tour of the Colosseum, Forum and Pallantine Hill. This should be prebooked with a reputable organization--don't use the guides offering their services outside of the Colloseum.

The reason I suggest a tour of Colosseum is that all registered tour guides in Italy must Pass a rigorous test, so they are very, very knowledgeable. We used Walks of Italy for a 3 hour tour and it was well worth it. They and other similar tours have websites.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

The Colosseum, Forum, Pallantine Hill, and Pantheon are musts for me.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:37 PM

A few tips and suggestions (as well as photos) from my trip report. Don't let the "with kids" part through you off:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...log-photos.cfm
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:45 PM

... throw you off
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Another vote for Orvieto. An easy day trip by train and fascinating, gorgeous. And the food is gooooood.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Generally I really don't like the Green Guides, as they can be very dry, but for Rome I agree. There is so much to see there, half of which you'll never know about if you don't do a lot of reading up front. I saw the Colluseum on my own on a really hot day, and frankly think I would have gotten more out of it with someone knowledgeable. And don't forget to leave time to just wander. Walk around almost any corner and you will come across another Baroque church. Sit and have a cafe and watch people go by.

All of that said -- I'm thinking of spending a few days in Rome myself, after 20 years, and on my way to Morocco, and would love some tips that are not on the regular guide books.

OK Paris1953 -- please do tell: WHERE in Orvieto is the food so good (everywhere in Italy, but that's a different issue lol)

Many thanks

TF
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM

I read through the Fodor's Rome book and researched on line for easily six to nine months before we went (that is almost as much fun to me as the trip).

Do not miss the Scavi Tour at the Vatican, even if you are not Catholic, you walk through a 4th century (I think) necropolis. I know you said you won't be spending much time in museums, but the Borghese Gallery is small compared to many and the sculptures on the first floor are amazing!

We saw the Colosseum with a guide and loved it. Palatine and the Forum we didn't have a guide, it would have been much better with a guide.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
With the increase in the Roma Pass, I'm not sure it's a value anymore. Rome is planning to raise the price of transportation (1€ to 1.50€)starting in June so that is part of the increase. It's possible some of the museums will be increasing prices also.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:50 PM

Just bookmarking ;-) thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:11 PM

I think some people forget what it's like to be a first time traveler. The Rick Steves book (particularly the dedicated Rome one) will be just fine for most of what you need and will help with some of the logistics. Fine to read others, but no need to "send it back".

I second kybourbon in that the Roma Pass was of marginal benefit before the price increase. By not having it, you have more flexibility about when you decide to see which sites rather than stacking the Roma Pass ones in 3 days.

Also, if you are staying in Piazza Navona, you will have the occasional trip (Colosseum, Ostia Antica, etc.) that will be easier with public transportation but many sites will be walkable. I don't think you need to spring for any bus passes.

One nice site that wasn't in the guidebooks was Le Domus Romane Di Palazzo Valentini.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-valentini.cfm
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:20 PM

IF people are bookmarking this thread, I want to add that i am suspicious that anybody has seen the new Michelin Green Guide to Rome or Italy. They SUCK!!!!

Michelin has abandoned its old format in favor of an airhead encouragement of "exploring" -- I guess finally succumbing to the reality that most people now coming to Europe want to "wander and soak up the atmosphere" rather than actually study and learn.

Anybody who found Michelin 'too dry" before should give it another look. It's a frosted cupcake of bites and tastes. No depth at all.

I've never seen Steves's book but if it is anything like his website or shows, Rome really deserves better.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 01:12 AM

Wow, I didnt realize they had changed the green guide, I better take a look at it before recommending it again! Thats too bad, I really liked them before.

I am not a Rick Steves fan, but I do think he does a good job of explaining things for the first time traveller like logistics of how to deal with transit ect. I took a look through his Rome guide because it was in the apartment we stayed in over new years and I mentioned to my hubby that its the one I would give my parents next time they go somewhere without us. You will be fine with that guide.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 02:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i am lucky enough to have quite a collection of the old fashioned green guides including Rome and Paris - I certainly won't be giving them away any time soon.

as an alternaitve, i think that the blue guides are pretty good, especially if you are interested in art and architecture. However, for a short first visit, i can see the attraction of something more accessible, like Mr. Steves. it's horses for courses really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -