Bus routes in London

Old May 27th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus routes in London

I am travelling in London at the end of August and to save money, I was going to buy a one day travel pass for the city bus, in lieu of the expensive hop on hop off buses. Can anyone suggest some bus routes that would maximize the tourist attractions?? I would just like to spend the day travelling the buses, hopping off where it looks interesting, trying to get my bearings of the city.
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Yeah,get the 15 which goes from Paddington to Tower Hill(via Oxford Street) or the 23
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:30 AM

Great minds think alike. <g> My wife and I were in London for the first time a year ago and did exactly what you're planning to do. We ordered a free street map of central London from the British Tourist Authority Web site: www.visitbritain.com. We bought a good guidebook (Rick Steves' book) which listed the major attractions and their closest tube stops and bus routes. We downloaded a tube map and bus maps from the Transport for London Web site (www.londontransport.co.uk). We visited the Web sites for the Original Bus Tour and the Big Bus Tour to get an idea of good routes to take. We jumped off the bus and took a short walk whenever an area looked interesting, whether or not a "main attraction" was close by. When we were in a hurry, we took the tube.
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:55 AM

I once got this tip on this message board, and when I finally got up my courage to take a bus in London (after several prior bus-less visits) I took this one: #11, from Liverpool Station to Fulham Broadway in Chelsea, or vice versa.
If you board at the L. Station, you will pass, and could get out and explore,London's East End and the City
(Cockney area, Financial district), St Paul's Cathedral, Trafalgara Square,
Whitehall,Victoria Station, and Chelsea, and all points in around these.

Another good one is the #159 (among other things gives you a view of Westminster Abbey and Big Ben.
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:47 AM

London Transport seem to be experimenting all the time with new maps and guides, and they certainly have had a diagram map of the central area bus routes that link the main sights, which you should be able to pick up at most tube stations and any of the information points in the main stations. Most bus stops now have much better diagram maps of where all the routes go. Or to give you some ideas before you leave, you can download a map showing all the routes in central London from http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/centlond.pdf
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I have ordered a map of the bus routes and I am planning my tour!!!
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:33 AM

The 77A goes along the south bank, over westminster bridge, past the houses of parliament and terminates in whitehall.

Go on the top deck.
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:01 AM

The 11 goes from Liverpool Street (near Spitalfieds's Market) past St Paul's, down the Strand to Trafalgar Square, past Piccadilly Circus and to Victoria and King's Road (full of stylish shops and rich folk!).
The 12 goes from Notting Hill (for Portobello Road and its market) down past Hyde Park and to Marble Arch, then down Oxford Street and thru Piccadilly and then on to Whitehall, Parliament and Westminster Bridge (for the aquarium and London Eye.) It then goes on thru Elephant and Castle, Camberwell and on to E Dulwich for Dulwich Picture Gallery, if you are interested in going that far out. It would take about 35-45 mins from Westminster to E Dulwich. Both of these routes are the open-back kind, old-fashioned, and very typical of London. Sit upstairs and the conductor will come and get your fare or see your pass.