Bus, Roma Pass, and euro

Aug 4th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Bus, Roma Pass, and euro

My husband and I are going to Italy on Sept 9th and arriving in Rome on Sat the 10th.. Have been trying to see how to get from Rome to Siena. From reading the forums, the Sena bus looks like a good choice. I have been to their web-site and would like to know if I am reading things correctly! We get into Rome at 9:15 am. on that Sat the 10th. I know we need to get the train to the Turbitina area and the bus terminal is there somewhere. From what I can figure out with the Sena schedule, we could get the 12;30pm bus. This will be on Sat. Sept. 10th. My questions is can we get this bus on a Sat? I think we can get there in time or am I being naive? Coming back to Rome on the 24th we have the same problem with it being on Sat. I believe we will have to take a local bus from Poggibonsi to Siena, then the Sena to Rome. Going to Poggi our friends should be able to get us in Siena, but coming back to Rome, they will already be gone. My second question concerns the Roma Pass. Am I correct that we can purchase that at the Rome airport? We wouldn't use it until we return from Poggi, but I would just like to have it on me when we return as we have to get the metro from the bus or train(don't want to take a train really) to our hotel over by the Vatican. Lastly, is it more prudent to get a few hundred in Euros from our bank here in Ohio to take with us? We will need them immediately for the bus. . I would appreciate any help you can give me. I have been unsuccessful in finding a travel agent to help me figure out these bus schedules!! Thanks
Aug 4th, 2011, 08:13 AM

Maybe if you provided a link to the bus website you're looking at we could help you.

No, it's not more prudent to get euros in Ohio before your trip, unless you want to pay more for them than you need to for some peace of mind. Just withdraw them from an ATM machine when you land at the airport.
Aug 4th, 2011, 08:19 AM

Yes, you can purchase the Roma pass in the airport, at the tourist information desk. Your first museum use of the pass should be for one of the expensive museums (Colosseum, Galleria Borghese), and you need to make a telephone reservation for the Galleria Borghese.
Aug 4th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about not giving the web-site! it is http://www.sena.it/home/78-1-en.html It looks as if we could go to Siena at 12:30 (getting in at 9:15 am)and arrive at 15:35 at Colonna San Marco. Does it seem like enough time to get from Rome to the bus stop? Don't know exactly where the bus station is but I think someone said it is across the street from the train terminal? I assume that is the name of the last bus stop in Siena. When I plug in Rome to Poggibonsi for the same date, it is not doable, so Siena seems to be the best bet. Returning on Sept. 24th, looks to be 8:40 am and arrive Rome at 12;15. I don't see that there is a change in bus either. Is that your take? Thanks for info on Euros.
Aug 4th, 2011, 10:53 AM

There are actually 5 stops in Siena on the bus you are taking. The Colonna San Marco is the last & may not drop you off in the most convenient location. Click on the little clock on the right side & it lists the stops the bus makes from Rome to Siena.
Aug 5th, 2011, 05:05 AM

I've purchased my Sena tickets online in advance before. You must print the ticket for each traveler (it will be a full size sheet of paper which the driver will tear part off). If you are catching the train onto Poggibonsi, then you would want to get off at the train station in Siena (Piazza Stazione-FS). Otherwise, to catch many buses, you would want Piazza Gramsci )which is a big bus hub at the edge of the historic center. It would depend on the stops for a bus to Poggibonsi (on Sita, enter your route, highlight the time of the bus and you will get a list of the stops).

These are the stops:
03/09/2011 12:30 - ROMA (AUTOSTAZIONE TIBURTINA)
03/09/2011 12:35 - ROMA (V.Salaria n.665, Lancia)
03/09/2011 12:38 - ROMA (Salaria RAI)
03/09/2011 14:40 - BETTOLLE (Casello A1)
03/09/2011 15:15 - SIENA (Viale Toselli (Penny Market))
03/09/2011 15:21 - SIENA (Pza Stazione FS–Fta SENA)
03/09/2011 15:23 - SIENA (Antiporto Camollia)
03/09/2011 15:27 - SIENA (Piazza Gramsci (fermata Sena))
03/09/2011 15:35 - SIENA (Colonna San Marco (fermata Sena))

I e-mailed the booking agent for many of the Sena buses about stop location and they were very responsive. The Tiburtina station had a major fire a week ago. I don't know if the train from the airport is disrupted or not. You need to check.

As for the Roma Pass, when I purchased, you had to buy it at the Comune Roma booth, not the regular tourist info booth (different locations at the airport).
Aug 5th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for your advice. The bus stops in Siena were really helpful as now I can tell the folks picking us up where to meet us.