Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bus ride from Split to Dubrovnik (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bus-ride-from-split-to-dubrovnik-853695/)

europe2011 Aug 8th, 2010 03:46 PM

Bus ride from Split to Dubrovnik

Just wondering if the bus ride is a great view, very scenic etc... We are debating between the overnight ferry from Ancona - Split or Bari-Dubrovnik. Our goal is to travel by ferry overnight and head to Dubrovnik. We have no interest in sight-seeing in Split. Please let me know if the bus ride is worth it.

Thanks!

smithgardner Aug 8th, 2010 05:13 PM

Hello!

So jealous that you are traveling to Croatia! I took that bus ride from Split to Dubrovnik and back again before catching an overnight ferry to Ancona, so I know exactly what you are trying to do. I would say it depends on what you are doing and where you are coming from in Italy. If you are coming from Rome, it is a quick train ride to Ancona, overnight, and then you can take the bus from Split. The views are spectacular. I took lots of great pictures, plus you stop for snacks and restrooms at a gas station in Bosnia-Herzegovina! I loved the bus ride, but I also loved Split! You should see Diocletian's Palace if you have an hour or two! Also, I could send you a few pics to give you an idea of the scenery. I was glad I took that bus ride. The Dalmatian Coast has some of the most stunning scenery in the world!

smithgardner Aug 8th, 2010 05:14 PM

By the way, I meant to say that I did all of that in June 2008, just as a point of reference...

europe2011 Aug 8th, 2010 05:26 PM

We will be in Rome before we take the ferry. I would love to see the pictures. We are going to be taking the ferry on a Sunday night in May and I have noticed that some ferry lines don't have the Sunday overnight on their schedule. So, that is why we want to find out about the bus ride to know if we should change a few things in our schedule. Originally we did plan on the Rome-Ancona train.

Also, I saw that you stayed in Cinque Terre. We will be there for 3 days before Rome. Any advice?

Thanks

Ackislander Aug 9th, 2010 04:45 AM

Try to sit on the right side of the bus. It will put you on the sea side most of the way.

About two or three miles of the route passes through Bosnia. Expect to stop briefly (bathroom stop) at the border with "opportunities" to shop. Not much to buy but it seems to have tax advantages for locals buying appliances.

Croatia is beautiful.

smithgardner Aug 9th, 2010 06:05 PM

@europe2011, I went from Croatia to Rome, via the Split-Ancona ferry, so as I said I know what you are trying to do. I just looked back through some of my pictures of that bus ride after reading your post, and WOW there are some stunning shots, even taken through a coach window. Email me at [email protected], and I will send you a few of the highlights for you to peruse.

As for Cinque Terre, I was there this summer. It definitely rivals the Dalmatian Coast, though there are worth comparing as each have their highlights. I didn't spend the night in Cinque Terre, due to the warped speed I was traveling this summer. Vernazza is magical, and that's where I would stay. Also, the hike is great, and is a bit challenging toward the end (I went from Riomaggiore to Monterosso al Mare), but I went off the trail and hiked down the side of the mountain to the infamous nude beach. It was not for me, and I didn't stay long, but the hike was intense! It made for a great workout and stunning views, but it is not for the faint of heart!

As I said, I didn't stay the night in CT, but I continued on to Genoa, which is not on the tourist radar at all. Genoa was a lovely place to see. Tons of great Renaissance architecture from its days as a maritime power and rival of Venice, plus it's the hometown of Renzo Piano, so it also has gorgeous modern architecture as well. I had a Eurail Global Pass so it was easy for me to swing on through and hop off in Genoa before continuing on the Cote d'Azur. Just worth a look!

europe2011 Jan 23rd, 2011 03:28 PM

Do we book the bus once we arrive in Split or can we book it ahead of time?

Barberau317 Jan 26th, 2011 04:10 AM

You can reserve a bus once when you are in Split,just dont wait for a last minute because in summer it is attractive route.There are more than one bus lines during the day.Take a right side of the bus,it is one of the best views and scenic routes in Croatia.