Bus question about St. Remy de Provence

Feb 1st, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Bus question about St. Remy de Provence

I want to spend 4 days in Provence in July based in St. Remy. I will be alone so don't want to rent a car as that isolates me from others and would rather use public transportation. I found an old post by Mariarosa with bus schedules between Avignon and St. Remy. (great help) My question is will I be able to go by bus to other small Provence towns such as Gordes, Roussillon and others from St.Remy. (any bus company websites with schedules greatly appreciated) Would also appreciate a hotel recommendation for two or three star in St. Remy. Don't need A/C cause I'm tough.

Thanks for any help at all.

Larry J
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:36 AM

topping for Larry.
Feb 1st, 2004, 12:17 PM

Here's a useful link for you to check out:

http://www.beyond.fr/travel/bus.html

Let us know if this provides the information you need.
Feb 1st, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

To Underhill

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually that was one of the first places I had looked. There's nothing there that gets me from St Remy to Gordes or Roussillon but I appreciate your interest.

Larry J
Feb 1st, 2004, 03:11 PM

It looks as though you could go from Avignon to Cavaillon and then take a local bus on to Gordes and Rousillon.
Feb 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM

Larry,

Try posting your question over on bonjourparis.com under Provence. There are a number of regulars there who live in Provence who might be able to provide additional information for you.
Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:46 AM

Larry, I really would not base myself in St Remy if you do not have a car. The bus service is erratic and slow and not frequent. St Remy doesn't even have a train station, it's not a good place to stay without a car if you want to travel around. Now I haven't tried to find buses from St Remy to Gordes/Roussillon, but did take the one between there and Avignon and it was not very convenient.
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

To Christina:

I am going to be in France for a month so if I can't get around real well for this 4 days maybe I'll just relax and recharge my batteries in St. Remy. Maybe rent a bicycle, maybe a car for just a day. Booked a hotel today. Guaranteed I'll have a good time one way or another. Thanks for your input though; I do appreciate it.

Larry J
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:29 PM

Larry,

That sounds like a good plan--there's plenty to do in and around St.-Rémy, and biking would be a nice way to get around. It's a great place to relax, too.
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Hi Larry! I think you have a good plan with the biking and relaxing. Something else that you can do is walk to Glanum from St. Remy.

Regarding getting to the other small towns by public transportation, I think you may have to take the 45 minute bus to Avignon first. My experience with the buses in France is that they were reliable and did follow the schedule (you just needed to *know* what the schedule was, which was not hard as the Avignon bus station had schedules available). Another option, again from Avignon is Cars Lieutaud (www.cars-lieutaud.fr)

Enjoy St. Remy, it truly is a delightful town!
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:07 AM

Larry: You could also take the trains. I was staying in Arles and took a train to Tarascon, then a local bus to St. Remy. I stayed on the bus all the way to the Glanum stop (right across the street from the Roman Arch). It was very convenient. Check with the local tourist office for bus schedules (you may even find them in the train stations too), they have pamphlets and can show you point-to-point to various adjacent towns.