Reload this Page >

Bus or train to Versailles & Tickets in for my students

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Coopster

There will be 35 of us in June and I am trying to get my students to Versailles from Paris (I don't know where we will be staying yet) - should I try to get them all on a city bus? Does the Metro go there now? How can I get tickets for entrance ahead of time. We are going to be there in early june. Thanks - I haven't been able to find the exact info I want on the internet yet. I need it ASAP

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 08:39 PM
elvira

The RER, line C, goes to Versailles. The thought of herding 35 students onto a suburban train seems to be a bit daunting. You can buy the tickets at the RER stations just before you leave (be sure to get on the train to the chateau - the toteboard on the platform will announce which train is coming). <BR> <BR>You can buy Versailles tickets online <BR>http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en/ <BR> <BR>but if you're going to be touring a lot of the museums and sights of Paris (excluding the Eiffel Tower), then consider buying the Museum pass, which is good for 1, 3 or 5 days, and no standing in lines (they can be bought at the larger metro stations, at the museums - the museum shop, outside the Musee d'Orsay sells them - or at the tourist office. You can also buy them ahead through various agencies in the U.S., with a fee).

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Sue

Don't forget that teachers get in free to most state and city museums. Also kids under a certain age (18?) have a reduced rate. Be sure to take a school ID with you (we taped professeur/lycee on the back).

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:07 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>follow Elvira's advice and by all means get the museum pass if for no other reason than to save waiting in lines at the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay <BR>(which I assume you will visit) <BR>for more information <BR>www.intermusees.com/ Paris museum pass (available in English). <BR>The intermusees web site provides a list of museums included in the pass , and all the places <BR> that are included are places where you can buy it. You want to buy it at a small museum to <BR> avoid the long lines at the Louvre, and the Musee D'Orsay. However, at the Orsay, you can buy it in the bookstore and still avoid the long ticket-buyers' line. You can also buy one at major metro stations, at the Tourist Information Bureau (Carrousel du Louvre, at the National Tourist Bureau: 127 avenue des Champs-Elysées, 75008 Paris (open daily from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.). at railway stations: Information-Tourist Bureaux located in the Montparnasse, Nord, Est, Lyon, and Austerlitz stations. I bought one at my hotel front desk with no extra charge. <BR>re Versailles <BR>Pass holders will have a special entrance at Versailles, entrance A2, it's on the right when facing the chateau. The acoustiguide and the maps are very helpful, and you don't need to have the guided tour unless that is important to you. If so, you might want to inquire in advance about a guided tour for a group. <BR> You can also buy a guidebook there. <BR>To get there, take the RER line C to Versailles Rive Gauche (R.G.). The RER lines are suburban trains to and from Paris. Make sure your C train goes to Versailles Rive Gauche as the end destination.You'll have about a half-mile walk to the Chateau. You don't want any other Versailles stops as you will be farther from the chateau. There is a clean bathroom at the MacDonald's near the RER station-be nice and buy something. <BR>When you leave the Rive Gauche station you will be on Avenue General de Gaulle. Head right on Ave. G deG and then left on the big Avenue de Paris which goes straight to the chateau. <BR>Tourist information offices: across the street from the Rive Gauche Station (tel 01 39 50 36 22), also on the approach to the chateau and one at the chateau at the entrance. <BR> <BR>You can take a taxi from Paris to Versailles which according to someone who did the math (it might have been Elvira), saves money over the train fares for every four of you, assuming a taxi will take four. To save a long walk, have the taxi drop you at the Petit Hameau <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 06:27 AM
sue

The easiest (and cheapest)way to Versailles is by Metro to the Pont de Sevres stop which required 1 ticket. Then take bus 171 (1 ticket) which will let you off within sight and short walking distance of the Palace.