Exchanging US Dollars for Euros in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this is my first trip to Germany. If I take US Dollars with me, can I go to a bank in Germany and exchange it for Euros?
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 05:11 PM

WHY?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 05:17 PM

No. You probably can't unless you have an account with the bank, and in any case there is no need to. Simply take your ATM card with you (preferably one that doesn't charge you fees of any kind) and withdraw cash once you get there. No one actually takes dollars with them any more and attempts to exchange them for euros unless they want to pay extortionate fees to do so, if they even can find a place to do it.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 05:18 PM

You have to go to a Bureau d'Change. I don't think banks will change greenbacks for Euros.

There have been at least 1,000 threads about using ATM machines and your debit card to get the best rate. you will lose a lot of money exchanging cash.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 05:21 PM

Changing cash is a really bad idea - awful rate of exchange and many places will do it only for customers. Also carrying a significant amount of cash is a really bad idea.

You should use your CC for larger purchased and pull walking around cash from your checking account at an ATM with a debit card.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 05:51 PM

Without question, the cheapest and most convenient way to obtain local currency is via a debit card at a bank owned ATM. Notify you card issuer's security/fraud department of your travel dates and take two debit cards tied to two different accounts. It does not get any easier.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 08:20 PM

<i>You should use your CC for larger purchased </i>

In Bamberg we had to pay cash for our three nights at the hotel and cash for a meal at one of the large breweries. The OP should make sure that there is enough in the account to withdraw more than walking around cash if need be.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 10:05 PM

Also make sure you make some copies of your credit card to take with you, and also of your passport ! I agree with fmpden, use your debit card at the ATM. Contact your bank before leaving and tell them where you are going and the dates or your card will not be accepted at the ATM machine.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:19 AM

All of the advice here is solid.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 02:50 AM

Most, but not all, of the advice here is solid.

Ask your bank for an ATM card, either instead of or in addition to your debit card.

It can only be used for withdrawals and not for purchase, but your account is much better protected.

The bank will hate to do this because they make a fortune on the merchant charges when you use your debit card to buy stuff.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 07:00 AM

I am not sure the distinction between a debit card and an ATM card is that significant since the protection is basically the same. But we never would use a debit card for a purchase - even in the US. Over the years we have drifted to nearly full cash especially if you can get a discount for using cash. That is common at many of the smaller hotels. The possibility of credit card be compromised is much great that a debit card at an ATM. We just find cash easier and more convenient to use but you have to be comfortable carrying more cash than you might if you are more dependent on a credit card.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I agree it is a good idea to notify the credit card issuer and your bank which issued your ATM/Debit card about travel, it is NOT accurate to say to you that unless you do this, "your card will not be accepted" and in particular your ATM/Debit card.

That "advice" is not only irresponsible is is completely false. There are plenty of people who travel who do not tell their bank they are leaving town and continue to use their ATM card all over the place without problems.

Is there a chance your card might be rejected? There is always a "chance" even when you DO notify the bank in advance.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:27 AM

true, I do it now to head off trouble, but I don't think it will always be rejected.

If someone doesn't want to get an ATM card instead of debit card, I wouldn't do it just for a trip, of course. It should be a permanent decision as to which you want.

The main difference is that if your debit card is compromised, debit cards can be used for a lot of things that ATM cards cannot, and in the US at least, can be used without PINs sometimes. So in both cases, money would be taken out of your bank account, but with an ATM card, the only way to do that would be an ATM machine and knowing the PIN. YOu can use debit cards for purchases, including online purchases, but you cannot ATM cards.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM

I'd be extremely surprised if most German banks didn't exchange a major currency as the US dollar or at least point you to a nearby branch of the same bank where you can do it. At least I was never asked for a customer card when I wanted to exchange currencies.

But exchange rates will be much worse than what you get at an ATM (which is the reason why banks like to do the exchange)

For the sake of mind I often take cash (in my case euro if I go outside of the eurozone) with me for emergencies but try not to use them.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 02:45 PM

I have had my card rejected just across the border in Canada because I did not let the bank know ahead of time that I would be traveling. It was my ATM/debit card. It happened again in Alaska!

So from now on I do tell the banks ahead of time when and where I will be traveling.

I do not care whether it is accurate or not, it happened. So in my opinion better safe than sorry.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 03:50 PM

Geez Dukey - wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or what?

The advice to let your bank know you are travelling is not irresponsible. While not every bank will decline foreign transactions on every account if you don't let them know you will be travelling, it is a very common occurrence. It is important to call the bank and let them know.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:51 PM

<i>That "advice" is not only irresponsible is is completely false. There are plenty of people who travel who do not tell their bank they are leaving town and continue to use their ATM card all over the place without problems.</i>

I think not notifying your bank is more irresponsible.

Few things suck more than getting off a North America-Europe flight and not being able to get cash from an ATM because you forgot to tell the bank you were leaving the country and their processing company denies the transaction. And then you have to wait 6-8 hours before your bank opens so you can get things sorted.

And no, this cautionary tale should not imply that you buy foreign currency ahead of time -- that's still a horrible idea. Just use another credit card or whip out that domestic cash stash you have with you and use that.