Bus from Vienna Airport to Sudbahnhof

May 5th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Bus from Vienna Airport to Sudbahnhof

I understand there is a bus from the airport to Sudbahnhof every 30 minutes. Can someone tell me where we go for the bus? And do we pay prior to getting on the bus, or once we get on?
May 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Pam.
This is definitely the least expensive, easiest way to get to the city center. The bus is directly in front of the airport, maybe a little to the right as you exit but you don't cross a street or anything. I know I bought the ticket either outside at the bus stop or on the bus, it isn't inside the airport. Tickets were 6 euro 3 years ago.
Hope this helps.
May 5th, 2006, 09:13 AM

there is also a train link every 30 mins, costing 3 euros vs 9 euros for the bus - the train goes to Mitte S-Bahn station which has S-Bahn trains to the nearby Sudbahnhof.
May 5th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Where is your hotel? The Sudbahnhof isn't really in the city center. You'd have to catch a taxi or tram etc to get to your hotel unless you're staying in that area. There are also buses to the Westbahnhof which has better mass transit connections. I believe there's also a bus to the Hilton (I've never taken it). I've taken a shuttle van from the airport for about $15. More expensive than the bus, but it's door to door service. Taxis run about 35 euro to central Vienna.
May 5th, 2006, 09:16 AM

the train also serves the Nord S-Bahn station. The Mitte station is right in the heart of Vienna.
May 5th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their help. We're traveling by train to Breclav, so we definitely need to go to Sudbahnhof. PalQ, transferring trains sounds a little complicated to me after an all night flight!
May 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I'm not sure that airport trains don't go direct to the Sudbahnhof - it just says in my Thomas Cooks that they servie Nord and Mitte but the next stop on that line is Sudbahnhof - would seem they'd go on.
May 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM

If you are going directly to Breclav from the Vienna Airport, you can take the City Airport Train to the Mitte station from which you can get a train to Breclav. Except for the EuroCity trains, the trains to Breclav stop at Mitte as well as the Südbahnhof.

Search this Thread