Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > bus from Venice airport to Venice(main bus terminal)
Notices

bus from Venice airport to Venice(main bus terminal)

Sep 5th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

bus from Venice airport to Venice(main bus terminal)

We will shortly be taking bus from Marco Polo to the city. Is it possible to get a non-stop? What to look for? (trying to avoid a "local" where our luggage might get off b4 we want it to)
Sep 5th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Here is the info on the ATVO bus, which is non-stop.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...buses_atvo.htm
Sep 5th, 2013, 07:06 AM

You will want the ATVO bus. Here is a link to more info-

http://livingveniceblog.com/venice-i...venice-by-air/

The bus stop is right outside the airport doors, so you should not have an issue finding the right bus.
Sep 5th, 2013, 07:53 AM

FWIW, annelew, the €12 Bus+Boat combo mentioned in zoecat's link looks like a great option. This is an improvement since DH and I visited Venice and will save you a step. Do you know your VAP stop?
Sep 5th, 2013, 04:19 PM

On the local ACTV bus that makes stops, I have always been able to keep my luggage by my side.
Sep 5th, 2013, 06:11 PM

You want the # 5 Aerporto bus. It is 6 euros per ticket one way.

You buy your ticket from the last vendor at the transportation counter that is to the left of the Arrivals Area at Marco Polo.

After you purchase your ticket, you exit the glass doors opposite the counter and board the bus at the curb.

The bus will transport you to Piazzale Roma in Venice, the last stop for motor vehicles in the city.

There is NO bus station in Venice.

At Piazzale Roma, you have two options as to how you will get to your hotel--walk or take the vaporetto.

Don't understand the "local" comment.

Thin
Sep 5th, 2013, 06:24 PM

The #5 bus is the so-called "local" bus for public transportation operated by ACTV, the same company that operates the vaporetti. This bus is like a city bus with seats facing forward and sideways and a lot of standing room--you take your luggage on board with you. The bus makes stops along the way at local bus stops on the mainland until it crosses the causeway and reaches Piazzale Roma (which is indeed the bus station, even if it is not inside a building, since it has marked departure lanes and tickets windows).

Another company, ATVO also runs a bus service from the airport to Piazzale Roma, but this bus runs "express"--departs the airport and goes directly to Piazzale Roma without stopping. This bus is more like a long-distance bus, with luggage storage underneath and high-backed front-facing seats.
Sep 6th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

As always the help from you "Fodors" amazes me. We can walk to hotel from Piazzale Roma. Thanks to all!!

Search this Thread