Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bus from Shannon to Sligo too much for first day? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bus-from-shannon-to-sligo-too-much-for-first-day-718014/)

sunnyside_clm Jul 3rd, 2007 12:43 PM

Bus from Shannon to Sligo too much for first day?

Hello,

I fly into Shannon July 21st, a Saturday. Would it be too long of a journey for my first day with jet lag? Since I wouldn't actually be the one driving, it might give me a chance to get some shut eye, and yet I don't want to miss anything on the way!

My plans are slimming down since I think I'm trying to see too much and I'm finding out about relatives in Sligo, Clare, and Galway. Thought I'd haul up to Sligo first, then work my way back and end in Limerick and stay at the Railway before flying out on the 30th?

Any advice?

Thank you.

NEDSIRELAND Jul 4th, 2007 12:44 AM

With the Jetlag the best thing to do on your arrival day is to get where you're going (i.e., Sligo). When I go to Ballina (Mayo) I take a 9:30 AM Bus Eireann Shannon-Galway and have a bite to eat at the Garvey Hotel bar while I wait for my next bus. The Garvey is just across the street from Galway Bus/rail station; and some of the Buses from Galway to Sligo go through Ballina.

You'll have to change Buses in Galway. The people at the Bus Eireann Counter in Shannon airport will sell you tickets and help with scheduling.
BTW
Don't sit in the back of the bus. The suspension causes the rear to sway on turns and that almost gave me motion sickness.

As for sights to see along the way: Your bus route may take you thru Knock where Knock Shrine is on the Mayo Roscommon border

sunnyside_clm Jul 4th, 2007 02:32 PM

Thanks Ned! Thats great advice. I keep trying to go on the bus eireann site and its been down. I'm trying to figure out how much it will be in advance. I would assume from Galway the distance is pretty minor to get to Sligo. But also plan on a pretty full day and a nice place to stay for my first and last nights. In between I was planning on hostels but the B&Bs are the ones who have full breakfasts...so its a toss-up there. Hostels are definitely cheaper. You are all so helpful here on this board. I REALLY appreciate it all so much and if you ever come out to Big Sky Montana, I'm here for you!

Peace.

Padraig Jul 4th, 2007 03:26 PM

The Bus Eireann site is always a bit slow and clunky. I checked here, and the bit you need (Journey Planner) seems to be out of order.

Your assumption about distances is incorrect: the leg from Galway to Sligo is the greater part of the trip. It's about 50 miles from Shannon to Galway, and 80 from Galway to Sligo.

[I had a query on the Bus Eireann site running in the background while I composed this, and eventually got times for you. One service leaves Shannon at 0955, there is a 15-minute change in Galway, and you get to Sligo at 1430. If that's too early, you have the same again two hours later.]

If I can get a fare for you, I'll post again.

sunnyside_clm Jul 4th, 2007 03:31 PM

Thanks! I finally got the page to load and it was VERY slow and kept showing error messages. I appreciate you taking the time to look for me. So what part of Ireland are you from Padraig? Just curious since you have said a couple times that you live there.

Peace

Padraig Jul 4th, 2007 03:39 PM

I'm a Dubliner, currently living in the countryside about 50 miles north of my native city, close to the border with Northern Ireland.

sunnyside_clm Jul 4th, 2007 05:30 PM

Nice. Well I really appreciate all your help.

Peace