Bus from Rome to Sorrento

May 7th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Bus from Rome to Sorrento

I've seen previous posts on this subject so I'm aware of 2 lines that run this route. My questions are: Where do they depart in Rome, and where exactly do they arrive in Sorrento? And, since I can't read the Italian on the Marozzii site, can anyone tell me Marozzi's schedule for the route and whether it runs on Fridays? Thanks very much.
May 7th, 2010, 07:21 AM

It arrives at the Circumvesuviana railway station in Sorrento - 300m from the central square.

On Fridays in high season there are 2 departures daily -
- 07.00 and 15.00.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
May 7th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Marrozi (www.marozzi.it): I checked for Friday June 18th:
leaves from Rome's Tiburtina station at 7 AM and 3 PM
arrives at Sorrento Circumvesuviana station at 10:45AM and 7:00 PM

Curreri (www.curreri.it) has a English schedule: 7 days/week
leaves from Rome tiburtina at 2:00 PM
arrives at Sorrento at 5:30 PM

Sorry about my previously abortive post; it was evidently caused by the Tab key.
May 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, Steve_ and Mimar, this is very helpful because our hotel has a shuttle that will pick us up at the station in Sorrento. Did you happen to notice the price for these tickets? And do you know if it's necessary to reserve tickets in advance?
May 7th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

I also forgot to ask -- is the Tiburtina station, from which the buses leave, the main train station in Rome? Thanks again.
May 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Termini is considered the main station, but Tiburtina is a major bus hub and many night trains depart from there also. It's on the subway line (about 4-5 stops from Termini).

The websites given by Mimar aren't correct.

Curreri does not have Sunday service. This is the correct website.
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

Marozzi's website is only in Italian.
www.marozzivt.it

Here's the schedule link. They usually have two departure times in summer (June-mid-Sept.), not just Fridays/weekends. Click prenotazione.
http://www.marozzivt.it/biglietteria...pobigl=marozzi

This manual will walk you through a purchase. English directions are on page 15.
http://www.marozzivt.it/download/manuale/manuale.pdf

Marozzi is about 17€ and Curreri 16€.
May 7th, 2010, 09:27 PM

The main station in Rome is Termini. Tiburtina is a different station (used for both train and bus).
May 8th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Thanks, kybourbon.

If you are heading to the Roma Tiburtina station from Fiumicino (the main Rome airport), there's a train to get you there.
May 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM

There are stops at Tiburtina on the FR1 train line (from FCO) and on Metro line B.
May 8th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We'll be catching the bus from our hotel near the Pantheon. Does anyone happen to know if there's direct bus service to Tiburtina? Also, would we need to reserve and buy bus tickets in advance? And the approximate fare for the bus?
May 8th, 2010, 03:41 PM

It appears you would have to change at Termini. I don't think I would do this by city bus with luggage as city buses are usually packed. It's not like the Marozzi bus (about 17€) where your luggage will be stored under the bus. I would see about a taxi to Tiburtina or taxi to Termini and take the subway the rest of the way (also crowded at the Termini stop, but crowd thins out a couple of stops away). If you take public transportation to Tiburtina, watch your belongings!
http://infopoint.atac.roma.it/naviga...5ac&bwreturn=1
May 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM

I took a taxi from Tiburtina to the Piazza Navona area (very close to where you'll be leaving from), and it was around 20 Euro. Seems like it would be worth that with your luggage and not having to take a bus to Termini and then the subway the rest of the way!
May 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kybourbon and SusanP. It sounds like the easiest thing to do is to take a taxi to Tiburtina for the 20Euro, to make the 2PM Curreri.

Now that I have the right Curreri website I can see the fare is only 16 EURO, and it says that tickets can be bought on the bus -- but I'm wondering if I need to purchase early to assure 3 seats, since early August may be high season. I went ahead and used the website to inquire about the reservation, and I'm assuming that they will write back with a price and ask for credit card info, but I won't finalize anything if it's not necessary to have advance reservations.
May 9th, 2010, 09:35 AM

Allow time to locate the bus at Tiburtina. You might ask for directions on where to board. This is a major bus hub for Rome city buses along with lots of private company buses leaving for all parts of Italy. Some of the private buses will be located across the street or even a bit of a trek down the road.
May 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Do get there early.

I took their bus from Sorrento to Rome at 6:30am on a Monday. It was so full that only a couple of people could get on at next stop. They didn't use the large bus they show on their website, ours sat only about 50 people.
May 9th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

joannyc, did you have reserved seats purchased in advance? I'm wondering if it's possible to get guaranteed seats that way. It sounds like we should probably allow an hour to get oriented to Tiburtina and make sure we find the right bus!
May 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM

I tried to make a reservation via the internet the day before but never heard back from them... to be fair, it was on a Sunday that I tried to make it.
May 11th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Well, I used the Curreri website to reserve 3 seats from Tiburtina to Sorrento for mid-August -- and I just got a reply to the effect that my reservation is confirmed. However, they asked for no credit card info in the process, and the response says that I must pay at Tiburtina, with no timeframe. So, I still have no idea if they are actually saving me the seats, or whether the seats are guaranteed. I'm writing them back to see if I can get more details.
May 20th, 2010, 05:52 PM

I'm doing this trip in a week and trying to book my bus ride too. I can't figure out Marozzivt's website. The English directions mentions entering CC information but after I select my seats and hit the round trip tariff, the information box pops up on the screen and I'm lost. I should be able to enter CC information and print off tickets.
May 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

The Curreri website didn't require any credit card info -- and I've now had several emails from someone there, reassuring me that the reservation is good to pick up at the terminal just before the trip. I'm hoping that's correct, but to be sure I'm going to stop by a travel agent a few days before - in August - and see what they say.