Bus from Naples Airport to Sorrento

Jan 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Bus from Naples Airport to Sorrento

Hello - we are arriving in Naples at 10.10 a.m. I see that there is a bus from Naples Airport to Sorrento @ 11.00 a.m. Is that enough time to get off the plan e(carry on luggage only), buy a ticket for the bus (can we do that on the bus? If not, where do we buy tickets?) and board?
Next bus isn't until 1.00 p.m.....
Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Jan 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
GAC

Probably not, because of the following delays (but it's certainly worth a try):

1. Late plane arrival into NAP
2. Passport control

You can buy the ticket from the bus driver.

PS: If your plane arrives on time, you've got a good chance to make the 11:00 a.m. bus to Sorrento, if you hussle a bit.
Jan 10th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

I will be flying from the uk.....will I still need to go through passport control?. I have a uk passport
Jan 10th, 2011, 10:48 PM

From the UK, you'll arrive at the larger Terminal 1, and the buses leave from immediately outside the exit of its "Arrivals" hall...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/114454837

Still plenty of potential for delay, but we're usually got off the plane and through passport control (yes, you will be checked, but quite cursorily) and picking up our hold bagagge fairly quickly - so if your plane's on time, there's a fairly good chance of you catching that 11:00 bus.

But if you do miss it, the obvious alternatives to waiting at the very pleasant outdoor cafe (buying a ticket, if they're sold there, might be a good idea) are to either take a taxi (there's a Fixed Fare for the city's cabs, of €100 one way), or push on under your own steam, catching the Alibus (details in the text under that photo!) into Naples and either...

- get off at Piazza Garibaldi, walk to the station there, and take the very cheap Circumvesuviana train round to Sorrento

- continue to the terminus, near Castel Nuovo, and walk down to the port from where the hydrofoils take 30 minutes to cross the Bay...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/imag...91341/original

Their tickets cost about €10, and the current timetable (Orario) is available here...
http://www.alilauro.it/index.php?lingua=english

Now - the quietest part of the year - they're only running Mon/Fri, at 09:10, 13:05 and 17:15, but the Spring timetable usually looks more like this...
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131099695

On a nice day, that would be the one I'd prefer - unless I'd a good book to read at the airport cafe!

Shout if you want more details... and, perhaps, if it's not actually Sorrento that you're going to - as there are other alternatives!

Peter
Jan 11th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Actually headed to either Amalfi or Praiano as our final destination..so any other suggestions are appreciated!
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - good to know we can buy a ticket on the bus as that should save time. Only planning to have a carry on so if our flight's on time, souncs like we have a shot at making it.
Don't want to spend teh money on a taxi, so we might have to get the bus to the train, but just seems like quite a long trip then - bus to Naples, train to Sorrento, bus to Praiano...
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:06 AM

GB - don't forget that perhaps, if they weren't quite so inaccessible, those places wouldn't be as they are.... and you might not have chosen to go there?

Probably best if you make a final check on the options near the time, once the various seasonal schedules have been posted!

Peter
Jan 16th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks peter. Good advice on checking the schedules closer to our travel dates. And you are right about choosing out of the way places meaning I should expect them to be a bit more difficult to get to...