Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Burgundy Region or Loire Valley (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/burgundy-region-or-loire-valley-740242/)

jmwtgw Oct 2nd, 2007 04:39 AM

Burgundy Region or Loire Valley

We're travelling to France in early November. After a few days in Paris, we plan a trip to the country. We've already been to Normandy. What would be the better choice for this time of the year - Burgundy or the Loire region? Any suggestions on bed and breakfasts and best places to visit?

ira Oct 2nd, 2007 05:21 AM

Hi J,

How many days?

With car?

((I))

StuDudley Oct 2nd, 2007 07:52 AM

I've never been in Burgundy or the Loire in Nov, but I imagine it would be kinda cold & brown (friends stayed in the Loire in Nov & said it was cold & brown).

I would perhaps choose to take the 3 hr TGV to Provence (Avignon), and spend time in that region where the weather might be more favorable.

Stu Dudley

BoulderCO Oct 2nd, 2007 08:42 AM

Yes, it could be chilly that time of year. In general I think Burgundy has better scenery but Loire valley has the Chateaus. Since you are going in November I would choose the chateaus over the scenery. We stayed in Ambois which we enjoyed - they have a interesting chateau there as well as the final home of Leonardo da Vinci. Easy access to Chenonceau, Chambord, Chiverny, etc. We stayed at Manoir les Minimes which we very much enjoyed.

Reisender Oct 2nd, 2007 09:20 AM

Yes it will be cool/cold in November but the up side is no crowds. We did a driving tour starting in Belgium, down along Normandy coast, through the Loire valley, and on into Paris in November. We had only one rainy day out of 10 (lucky!) and the weather was crisp but not unbearable. The nice thing was we never encountered any crowds. I would not hesitate to travel in November.

We used the town of Amboise as our base for the Loire valley and it was ideal. We stayed at Manior Les Minimes in Amboise- excellent!

Have fun.

:)

Underhill Oct 2nd, 2007 09:39 AM

I'd head straight to somewhere in Burgundy. How much time to you have?

LoriNY1 Oct 2nd, 2007 09:48 AM

And there is nothing like pure Burgundian Beef Borginione (spelling sorry) on a cold, dank fall day....with of course a nice 2005 Burgundy....

jmwtgw Oct 2nd, 2007 04:39 PM

We're leaving Paris on 11/2 and will be in France for another 4 days.

GBC Oct 2nd, 2007 04:45 PM

Another vote for Burgundy for a November visit. Wish I could join you. Enjoy.

cigalechanta Oct 2nd, 2007 04:57 PM

I was in Burgundy a week ago and the heat was on and there were warm blankets on the beds. I was disappointed we were not to dine outside.

hopscotch Oct 2nd, 2007 08:23 PM

Burgundy. Dress in layers.

ira Oct 3rd, 2007 07:53 AM

Another vote for Burgundy.

jody Oct 3rd, 2007 08:33 AM

We were in Burgundy this past November and only wore sweaters most days, so there is no way to tell the weather.

The vineyards were all brown but the towns were all very active.

If you decide on the Loire, make sure the chateaux you want to visit will be open, as some close for the season around November.