Burgundy or Loire from Beauvais?

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burgundy or Loire from Beauvais?

I am flying from Rome to Paris on Ryanair at the end of June for a week in France. We'll end our week with 4 nights in Paris, but want to do a couple nights in the countryside. I originally wanted to make it all the way to Sarlat, but have been convinced it would be too far (6 hours from Paris).

Any thoughts about:

1) What is a better couple days for someone new to France outside of Paris: Beaune and the Cote d'Or or Amboise and the Loire Valley?

2) What is the best way to get from Beauvais to somewhere else? Should I rent a car and drive? Or should I take the Ryanair shuttle into Paris and take the train?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dijon and Beaune (I'm not objective as you can see ;-)...)
have a look here :
http://www.ofoto.fr/BrowsePhotos.jsp...id=43499444733
and Dijon is only 1h30 from Paris by TGV...
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I live near Amboise, I could be biased and recommend my area. But I'll ask -- what about Normandy? It's an interesting area with a lot to see and do. Honfleur, Rouen, Trouville, Bayeux, etc.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you been to Paris before? Going into Paris, getting settled for the week and then doing a day trip to the Loire might consolidate your travelling times. Or as Ken suggested, going north to Normandy for a couple of days might be nice.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 05:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have been to Paris before and have three days for the countryside, I would go to Normandy in June. The Loire is beautiful that time of year as well.
If you have never been to Paris, you might consider staying there for the week and taking day trips to the countryside. Giverny, Chartres, Versailles and many others that you can find by searching on this forum are worthy destinations.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:15 AM
ira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi fake,

I do suggest that you spend your entire week in Paris.

Starting in the countryside on your first trip to France can be difficult if you do not speak French well.

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everybody for replying. To answer some questions:

- We'd like to finish our trip in Paris as a grand finale, so we're trying to get out to the countryside first. We're also coming from a few days in Rome, so I'm envisioning an idyllic break before plunging back into a big city.

- Normandy is probably the most convenient geographically to Beauvais, but I wasn't attracted to it when reading a bit about it. Mont St. Michel sounds fascinating. But battlefields don't strike my fancy for this trip. Maybe I should reconsider?

- About the language, luckily my wife speaks French enough to get us by.

- cocofromdijon, your photos are beautiful. do you recommend staying in dijon or beaune? If I didn't have a car, what would be easiest?

Thanks to all!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't have a car, Dijon might be a tad easier. The TGV goes directly there; the city is large, but compact center is where the prime sightseeing is located. From Dijon you could take a local train to Beaune for the day. But if it's the countryside you want, Beaune would be best as the town is considerably smaller than Dijon. From there you could take a bus to the cathedral city of Autun, which shouldn't be missed.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you fake!
and Underhill said it all as usually ;-)
if you're looking for more details or an accommodation in Dijon, ask me here : [email protected]
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cote d'Or and Loire Valley are both excellent places to go. There is probably more to see in the Loire with all the castles. The food and wine are better in Cote d'Or.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd have to disagree--what there is to see in the Loire Valley is one château after another, with a few other attractions. I Burgundy there are châteaux, ancient abbeys, magnificant cathedrals, the Hospice de Beaune, museums (the Fine Arts Museum in Dijon, located in the former ducal palace), and then all those vineyards and tasting rooms. The region is also much less crowded with other tourists.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Underhill, for your tips. I like that Burgundy has fewer tourists and is less trafficked. If I were to not have a car, is it still doable to see the various towns/monasteries/chateaux in Burgundy via train or bus?

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Underhill about Burgundy - it's beautiful, and has so much to see. I think the Burgundy countryside is much more beautiful than the Loire Valley. I'm not saying that I don't think the Loire is wonderful, too.

Having said that, with only a couple of days, the Loire Valley would probably be easier to get around without a car than Burgundy. Of course you can see Dijon and Beaune using the train, but you would miss most of the countryside.
You could take the TGV to the Loire, base yourself in Amboise (which is a lovely, fun town), and then tour some chateaux by tour bus (or train to some of them). In the last couple of years I have toured both areas (2 weeks in each), and that would have been nearly impossible in Burgundy without a car - but probably OK in the Loire using the trains. But you will love either one!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get to Dijon and Beaune by train and then take local buses to the principal sights. Information would be available at the towns' tourist offices (look for the I for Information signs).
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were to rent a car at Beauvais, any recommendations as to how best to drive to Burgundy? I would prefer to avoid driving through Paris, hopefully avoiding big city driving as much as possible.

- How long would it take to Dijon or Flavigny?
- How can I get a route plan to best get there?
- Any recommendations as to the best towns to stay in? Beaune may be a little pricey and Dijon may be a little too big. Small, quiet towns with pleasant places to stay for about 40-60E.

Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is much to see in Normandy besides military cemetaries. The countryside is green, hilly, and beautiful. The coast up around Etretat, Fécamp, St-Valery is breath-taking.

I would agree that Burgundy countryside is more impressive than Loire Valley countryside, which is soft and peaceful. If you're still interested in the Loire area, you can see my photos at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/les-bouleaux/index.htm
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 06:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure you received my mail (no news from you...)...
I was suggesting to take the TGV to Dijon and then rent a car.(I gave links to compare prices) so no worries to drive through Paris.

Flavigny is a bit more than 1h drive (1h30 if you get lost).

for hotels I had given that link :
http://www.cotedor-tourisme.com/gb/o...=heb&sstyp=hot you'll just have to choose your village or town on the right menu.
Nuits st Georges (between Dijon and Beaune)has many hotels from 1 to 3 stars.
if you want me to send it back ...
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't have to go into Paris to get to Burgundy. You can take the N31 across to Soissons, then the D1 south. There are also ways to go via the autoroute; probably now you should get the Michelin map for all of France to get a sense of how to get where most easily or by a scenic route.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fakemark,
We rented a car from Paris and drove to Saumur, in Loire. It was wonderful. My husband wanted to visit there because of a Tank museum(Musees des Blindes). We loved Saumur! The town is also known for it's horse riding school. It is known for mushrooms, sparkling wines.

We stayed at Hotel Anne d' Anjou. It was wonderful. It is at the foot of the hill where the castle is located. We had the apartment room, because we had our 2 boys with us at the time (4,7y/o). The bedroom for the boys had a window looking directly to the castle. The hotel was beautiful. The staff was wonderful. It remains one of our favorite places. We only stayed for 2 nights and headed back to Paris, it was just enough for a side trip from Paris.

Have a great trip!
Travelatte
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ttt