Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Burgundy and Paris Trip--How Can We Make It Easier On Ourselves? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/burgundy-and-paris-trip-how-can-we-make-it-easier-on-ourselves-946768/)

jamesj Aug 15th, 2012 07:28 AM

Burgundy and Paris Trip--How Can We Make It Easier On Ourselves?

Last time we went to France, we rented a car at CDG and drove to the Dordogne, then south to Provence, then back up to Paris. We had a great time, but we can't do that anymore and want to plan a trip that's less taxing physically and less stressful. To start with, we realize we can take a train to Dijon or ? in Burgundy (after resting a night in a hotel that's easy to get to from CDG), rent a car when we get there, then drive to a yet to be determined charming b&b, maybe near Beaune, which we liked when we passed through before, and that would be our base, so we wouldn't be moving around as much. Then, after week or so, we'd return the car, take the train back to Paris, cab to a hotel, and enjoy the city for a few days. But are there services we can buy that make it even easier, like a car service or a travel service that would just pick us up and plop us down at the right train or hotel or terminal? It's negotiating the airport, arriving and departing, and getting ourselves on the right train when jetlagged that worry me the most. I've got some physical issues that tire me out easily, but we still want to go back to France! Most of you guys are such energetic travellers that I don't know if this will ring a bell with anyone, but we'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Michael Aug 15th, 2012 07:43 AM

There are three direct trains (1.5 hours) from Roissy (CDG) to Dijon. I would simply make sure to give myself a couple of hours to transfer from the airline to the train (pre-paid and printed ticket), and go directly to Dijon rather than spend a night near CDG or in Paris (chances are, if arriving from the States, that you will land before noon unless you choose to avoid an overnight flight). Make a hotel reservation in advance and take a taxi from the Dijon train station to the hotel.

StCirq Aug 15th, 2012 07:44 AM

If your plan is to stay at a hotel at/near CGD, I don't understand the issue. The Sheridan, for example,is right IN CDG. Most or all of the other airport hotels have shuttles. To get to Dijon, you can either take a cab into Paris to the train station or take a train right from CDG, which would just involve a hotel shuttle ride back to the airport. Personally, I'd just land and get on the train to Dijon right from the airport and skip the extra step of getting a hotel at the airport, but you know best if that's too taxing for you.

adrienne Aug 15th, 2012 08:05 AM

Of course there are services that do this (I can't recommend anyone but perhaps someone from Paris knows of a reliable service).

As I understand it you want:

1. To be met with a sign with your name at the arrivals terminal after you get your bags.
2. To be taken to the Gare de Lyon in Paris.
3. To have the driver park the car and take you into the station and wait until you get on the train to Dijon.

If this is what you're looking for then let us know (and please use paragraphs for easier reading - the enter key twice).

Mimar Aug 15th, 2012 08:18 AM

As someone who's also slowing down her travel, I sympathize. If it was me, I'd spend the night at an airport hotel, preferably one that's attached to the airport so no shuttle is involved. For example, the Sheraton is inside Terminal 2 (where the train station is). Recover from the flight, then catch the train at the airport the next morning.

StCirq Aug 15th, 2012 08:20 AM

Ooops, just realized I wrote Sheridan. I meant Sheraton. Sorry 'bout that.

Gretchen Aug 15th, 2012 08:41 AM

Well, being a certain age myself, moving into a hotel room for the night and THEN starting over in the morning to get to my fun part of the trip doesn't do it for me.
The TGV is easy to get to at CDG. Get on, and go to Dijon and rest for the night there, knowing you can just wake up and "go".
Just leave yourself enough time so you don't have to rush. And pack light!
That said, we did a barge trip in Burgundy and it was really terrific. We were "taken care of" once we got into Paris to meet our group and take the TGV.

Christina Aug 15th, 2012 08:58 AM

I don't know of any service that would do something like that (walk you from baggage claim to the TGV station in the airport or the hotel in the airport), I think for people who are finding this too much, they may travel with a younger relative who helps them out. I know it is tough if you don't have one who wants to do that. My uncle loves to travel but took his son with him after the age of 80 or so to help with things.

If you want to stay in some hotel in central Paris after arrival, there are private car driver services who will pick you up at the airport and take you there but I would think just staying at the airport would be easier and you wouldn't need a private driver.

If you are finding it too much just to navigate the airport, I really do not think it a good idea to get on a TGV immediately after the flight to go to Dijon. It isn't direct, you will have to transfer in Lyon. the only direct trains are from central Paris (gare de Lyon). So it isn't going to be a relaxing piece of cake to do that (take the train to Dijon after your flight).

Christina Aug 15th, 2012 09:01 AM

I missed that Michael says there are direct trains from Roissy to Dijon. Maybe it depends on the day of week or time of day, but I did not see any when I checked (for a Wed.).

Michael Aug 15th, 2012 09:26 AM

My error. I entered Roissy and did not notice that the direct trains actually leave from Paris. So the OP should perhaps stay in Paris for the first night, taking the taxi from CDG to the hotel.

adrienne Aug 15th, 2012 10:15 AM

Christina - a car service will take you from the airport arrivals section to the Gare du Nord in Paris. And if you specify you need the driver to come into the station with you I'm sure for an extra fee the car service company will oblige. I don't see anything extraordinary about this but perhaps it is extraordinary service in Paris.

I never said anything about the CDG TGV station or the CDG RER station.

RonZ Aug 15th, 2012 10:17 AM

Yes, first night in Paris, morning train to Dijon from the Gare du Nord. Tickets up to 90 days in advance from voyages-SNCF.

We rent our cars from Europcar, brokered through Autoeurope, using the toll free number, not the web site.

MaineGG Aug 15th, 2012 11:01 AM

If you decide to overnight in Paris before continuing to Dijon, you might consider doing this:

From CDG, take the Air France bus to the Gare de Lyon (which is the station you need for trains to Dijon), or a taxi to the Hotel Terminus Lyon across the street from the station. The next day, it's easy to cross the street to the station to take your train.

We did the AF bus and Terminus Lyon hotel last year and it worked out well. I'd much rather spend an afternoon and evening in Paris than at a CDG hotel.

http://www.lescarsairfrance.com/en.html

http://www.hotelterminuslyon.com/en/index.htm

Michael Aug 15th, 2012 11:15 AM

<i>morning train to Dijon from the Gare du Nord</i>

Doubtful. The Gare de Lyon is the normal departure point for SE France.

RonZ Aug 15th, 2012 11:34 AM

Right...my mistake.

jamesj Aug 16th, 2012 06:29 AM

Many good suggestions, thanks so much. Taking a taxi or bus to the hotel at the Gare de Lyon sounds like the best plan at first sight, but other ideas to consider, thanks again.

annhig Aug 16th, 2012 06:38 AM

jamesj

in this case I think I might put my Paris stay at the front of the trip, and then just go straight from Dijon/wherever back to CDG, by which time you'll be much more "savvie" than you were when you arrived.

that would avoid breaking up your Paris stay, which is rarely a good idea.

RonZ Aug 16th, 2012 11:30 AM

The early train from Dijon to CDG arrives at about 8:30 AM. If you need a hotel for the one night, the Tulip Inn, a fairly decent hotel, is right down the street from the station.

The last time I did this I got on the wrong train and ended up at the Gare de Lyon, and luckily had enough time to cab to the airport.