Crete -Chania to Heraklion

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crete -Chania to Heraklion

Ok, my Fodors's friends. With your guidance I have my general plan mapped out. We have booked air to Athens from New York in the beginning of September. We arrive in Athens at 1:10 and fly to Crete at 4:10 on Aegean airlines to Chania. As suggested on my other post, we will make our way to the port at Heraklion. Here are some questions:

Is there a best part of Chania to stay in? We will be tired when we get there.

On our route from Chania to Heraklion, what stops would you suggest? We are 6 nights in Crete ( arrive night of Sept. 9 and leave by ferry to Santorini on Sunday 14th) .

What must sees along the way?

Do we need a car the whole time? Island Hopping says Crete has an excellent bus system. My husband and I love public transportation . We did Scotland, Wales and England ( except Cotswold) by public transportation.
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Chania I stayed here: http://www.ellada.net/colombo/ - just a block or so back from the water.

I stopped in Rethymno on the way to Heraklion, nice enough but I preferred Chania. I traveled by bus.
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 08:10 AM
WWK

Chania isn't that large. We stayed at PALAZZO DI PIETRO, a family-run boutique hotel about two blocks from the port. The rooms were beautiful and quiet. And the hostess/owner was extremely helpful.

You could also look at CASA DELFINO, if you're looking for a bit more luxurious accommodations.

We took the bus to Heraklion, a day before our departure so that we could stop at the Palace of Knossos (sp?). We stayed overnight at a chain hotel downtown, which was directly across the street from the ferry landing. Very convenient!

As I remember, you can also take a bus to The Samara Gorge, or arrange a day trip through the front desk of most hotels. I think it's one of Europe's largest gorges, and you spend the day trekking/hiking through about five miles of countryside etc.

Have fun!
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 05:01 PM

Millie
CHANIA -- you will have to take a taxi from the airport -- the busses don't coordinate with flights … it's about €20 to the West side of Old town, Theotokopoulu street, which is THE place to stay … Its a flagstoned pedestrianized lane (cars only from 6-9 am), comes right up from the seafront park, it's just behind/above the harbor side area, so very convenient but quiet at night. Here's a Map http://www.explorecrete.com/crete-ma...hania-city.jpg -- click & it gets large! Here's another - http://www.explorecrete.com/crete-ma...a-city-map.gif The taxi will bring you to Talo park by the sea, the "foot" of Theo. Street, and you roll your bags up a gentle ramp about 50-75 yards to the first hotel

THere are many small pensions on Theo st, 5-15 rooms, in updated Venetian mansions. If you choose one, ask for balcony overlooking the street The nearest to the sea is Casa di Pietra, just 5 rooms, no brekkie, but has coffeemakers. Owner Josef has vineyards (and gives samples of his red wine!). Across the Street is a lovely choice, Hotel Palazzo, NOT a palace but a lovely small hotel w. balconies, nice breakfast in lobby. Both are very reasonable -- €35 -55 and perfect locales. I've stayed in both. Others on street include Hotel Hera, Pension Nora.

TRANSPORT -- Buses ARE good, but limits what you can see /do. No need to rent car first 2 days, just explore Chania & area. You may want to rent a car to drive south to Sougia or to PLakias…. stay a night .. drive north - east toward Heraklion. You can skirt the city and go straight to Knossos on the bypass route (by 2 pm, cruise crowds will be leaving), then go in to city and leave car at hotel for frontal agency to pick up (we have done this a number of times; there is no extra charge). If you time it right, you can then see the re-opened Museum -- it will be open until 8 pm until Oct. 30. Then have a dinner on waterfront. Convenient hotels include (upscale) Hotel Leto, or Hotel Kronos or Hotel all on streets looking down on port, Fortress. Map: http://www.explorecrete.com/crete-ma...n-city-map.gif

CHOICES -- with your short time, I would say, skip Rethymnon, unless you r driving the big North shore road and want to hop off for 1 hour to see the Fortezza. The "Old Town" of Rethymnon much smaller than Chania, streets very clogged with tourists in my experience (May and September). Also, Samaria Gorge is a full-day proposition, and then often takes a day to recover unless you are a very fit hiker.
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 05:05 PM

Typo -- I meant RENTAl agency not frontal. Use a Crete-owned agency unless you have some incredible bargain card for the biggies … the local places match or beat the Avis/Hertz prices. I have used Autoway 3x very satisfactory. Almost all rental agencies will deliver in one town and let you drop off in the other…either at airport, or port, or as I said, park outside your hotel & leave keys at the desk.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 10:53 PM

I would NOT skip Rethymno, which is together with Chania, the most beautiful cities of Crete.
The old town of Rethymno is not small at all, it has many renovated venetian and turkish houses, and is a delight to walk around.
On your way to Heraklion you can also make a stop at the Kournas Lake, the only natural fresh water lake of Crete, it is located on your way. ( just a small detour of a few kilometers)
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Just a small correction to Travlerjan saying you need to take a taxi from the Hania Airport. Below is the daily bus schedule. If your plane is on time you could catch the 5:30 PM bus.

However after a long day of flying you might be happier with a taxi. The current fare is around 25 euros.

Airport Hania - Hania

Daily

06:30 08:30 10:00 10:30 11:00
12:00 12:30 13:00 14:00 15:00
16:00 17:00 17:30 18:30 19:00
19:30 20:30 21:00 21:30 22:00
23:00 24:30*
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 12:55 PM

Timetable of Ktel bus company:

http://bus-service-crete.com/timetable.php?lg=2
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 02:14 PM

In early June this year the bus was at the airport and met the flight. Fare was 5 euros for two.
Its about a 15 minute walk to Theo street from the bus station. I second Jans suggestion of Theotokopoulo street area. it is a minute walk to the old harbour but is quiet at night. Lots of hotels in all price ranges in this area. We stay at Pension Nora and Natalies rooms both budget studio hotels.
Theotokopoulou St area http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632118491316/
Bus service is good with modern air conditioned buses. Here are images of western Crete.
Western Crete http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632115757899/
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing photos. I am getting excited.
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thursdaysd- How long was the bus ride from Chania to Rethymno? From there can you take a bus to Herakloin? How long us that trip?
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, it was several years ago and I don't remember the details. However, this should help:

http://www.bus-service-crete.com/timetable.php?lg=2
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

We will stay in Heraklion just to be near the ferry to Santorini in the morning . Does anyone know a basic hotel close to the ferry port?
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 04:22 AM

The bus ride from Chania to Heraklion takes about 2,5 hours, 2 decent hotels near the port are :
Lato and Marin Dream
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 08:47 AM

Hi Millie,

As you'll soon find out, there's something about very half a kilometer to see on Crete.

Anywhere east or west of Chania connects easily to the main highway, no worries on airport travel from and to really. Take a car though, you will miss 9/10s of everything in between Chania and Heraklion, if you do not divert off the main coastal highway (scenic enough). Rethymno has many of the best restaurants and is charming, Kriti Beach Hotel there is one suggestion with a blue flag beach. (ask and I have 50 suggestions in Chania and Rethymno)

There's one village tavern you HAVE to try north of Rethymno, Taverna Goules' owner is the best organic chef and friendliest man on Crete. I wrote about Kostas Chamogiorgakis and the Cretan food on our Argo Travel News here:

http://www.argophilia.com/news/six-u...urants/214545/

If you divert to Goules, outside the town of Armeni north of Rethymno there's a magnificent Minoan burial site you should not miss. And the 100 other things to see along the way (ask)

Someone suggested Lato Boutique Hotel, this is the most popular boutique hotel in Greece actually, and for good reason the service is great, and the view is unmatched. Knossos,the museums, the port, the Venetian Fortress, everything in Heraklion is a walk or 5 minute cab ride. Check out the natural history museum and the pedestrian zone for the most unique fun.

Aside the mountain meets sea vistas, the villages and people of this wonderful Island are the treasure guys. Get as close to the rural angels as you can, they are magic as is the food and Raki.

I hope I helped.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 03:13 PM

Hi milliebest
We stayed at Posidon hotel in Heraklion specifically because it was close to the ferry port. It was very basic and has very mixed reviews however after really carefully reading the reviews I realized the problem was the airplanes take off directly over top of the hotel. The people who got air conditioned rooms loved the place. The people who didn't hated it. No problem with the airplanes as long as the windows were closed and AC on. Again it is a very basic hotel. Small rooms.
We had a car so it was a three minute drive to the ferry. If you don't have a car then proximity to the port is irrelevant because it is up on a hill and walking will take you a half hour. Good inexpensive option. If you want to see the center area of Heraklion and you don't have a car it is probably best to stay near the center and take a taxi to the port. That option is probably about 10 minutes away by taxi.
here is an album of our recent trip to Naxos. It started in Heraklion and the first three images are from our room at Posidon.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7645113682278/
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

PHILLIPALSTONBUTLER

What a link! I MUST eat at Goules! I think you have convinced me to rent a car. We have five nights in Crete. I have booked hotel Palazzo for the first two nights and Marin Dream for the last. Between them I have two free nights. We were just going to wing those two nights on the road. Any suggestion for a rental car company? Is that something we have to do ahead of time or can we just do it when we are in Chania?
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 05:57 AM

Hi Millie -- Glad you got those 2 hotels. As for rental car companies, in September no problem… however, if you require automatic shift YES it's important to reserve ahead, because they are sparse. We Crete "regulars" usually recommend using a crete-based agency rather than one of the multinationals… My travel pals & I have used Autoway 3 x with good prices and good cars -- they meet/beat the rates of the biggies. VERY prompt w car delivery, fine with drop off elsewhere. at various times we've dropped off (1) curb by hotel in Heraklion, left keys at hotel desk as instructed (2) at ferry pier and (3) at airport.