Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bunratty (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bunratty-195531/)

Bill Longman Oct 10th, 2001 07:03 AM

Bunratty

Bunratty Castle and Folk Park are popular sites due in part to proximity to Shannon airport. No, we didn't do the banquet, but we do recommend Castle and Park as worth the time. Also will recommend Rocklands B&B up the hill where Mary Slattery will give you special attention...maybe apple pie at tea time. ([email protected]). <BR>Her delightful daughter Marie heads up banquet reservations down at the Castle. And yes, Durty Nellie's next door is a fun spot for dinner. Bill L. in MO.

Bill Oct 10th, 2001 07:18 AM

The banquet is fun. We did it the night before we flew out, and our kids loved it. We stopped by Durtie Nellie's at the beginning of the trip, and it was crowded but pleasant. They had live music at lunchtime and a sing-along atmosphere.

Judy Oct 10th, 2001 08:08 AM

I loved the Castle and Folk park and was blown away by the Banquet there. It was sooooo much fun, IMO. My husband, who has pretty high standards, thought the Banquet was great. If ib doubt, people, go! Judy :-)

Joe Oct 10th, 2001 10:12 AM

The Banquet is fun. The Castle is beautiful, the park is very interesting and Durty Nellie's is a blast. Got into one of the alcoves and found mostly locals. They brought us into their conversation. They told stories and of course they sang. Great time and good dinner in the dinning area as well.

amy Oct 10th, 2001 12:55 PM

I heard that the food was only so-so.How much was the banquet?The guidebooks that I read said it was no good compared to Dunghuire, and then they said to even skip that if you were going to London area becuase there is an even much better one there. What gives?What was so great about it that the guidebooks faied to mention? On this advice I decided to not make reservations and just skip it, is it too late now? I have less than 2 weeks to go.

Randy Oct 10th, 2001 12:59 PM

The Bunratty banquet was the best one of these kind that I have been to. <BR>You don't really go to these for the food but for the fun and atmosphere. <BR>The food was fine. The entertainment when we were there was first class, with beautiful voices, and lively music. I hear the entertainment changes, but we found it enjoyable and not as hokey as the poorly run banquet at the dock in London.

Edmond O`Flaherty Oct 10th, 2001 01:18 PM

I enjoyed Bunratty Folk Park and Banquet too.There is a good article in the Irish Times at www.ireland.com.Go to Archives there and put in the words "Bunratty Banquet"

Nancy Oct 10th, 2001 01:55 PM

Edmond, that is a great article. I had a wonderful time at the banquet a few years ago. Of course there will be a sour puss in any crowd, but we went to enjoy ourselves and we did. I feel it is a far better show than any of the other similar banquests in and around London. And to think it is in a real castle makes it all the more fun. <BR> <BR>And to anybody who doesn't like the music and fun of Ireland had better stay away from the whole country, as every night there is wonderful music and enjoyment in any little pub in any little town.

Shadow Oct 10th, 2001 11:09 PM

My husband and our friends went this summer and we had a great time! The singing was great (they sang my favorite <BR>"The Fields of Athenry") and I actually liked the food-the spareribs were just like I grew up with (both parents Irish)and there was plenty of it. And, they made my husband sing a song (to get out of the dungeon) in front of everybody! <BR>And, he did! It was great! The crowd loved him! Go with the idea of just having FUN!!!! <BR>Shadow

Shadow Oct 10th, 2001 11:12 PM

Amy-email your B&B or hotel(or call)and I bet they can get you in. We were told they were full but our B&B owner got us all in (10) with no problem just a few weeks before (and it was June). <BR>Shadow

clare girl Oct 11th, 2001 01:28 AM

Bunratty is GREAT! But don't limit yourselves to the Banquet and Durty Nellies! A taxi driver in Dublin informed me when I told him I was from Bunratty, that Bunratty was known as the "Temple Bar" of County Clare!!. Which refers to the excellent restaurants and trendy (on a country scale) nightlife. Don't miss Gallagher's Seafood Restaurant, a converted thatched cottage which serves some of the best seafood dishes in the country. Ask for Noel! Also the Creamery, a converted Dairy COop. Even has the old ledgers from local farmers on the walls, and the stools bear the names of the most well known customers of the old Creamery. The Creamery has very good live music (with a mainly local clientelle) on Friday and Saturday nights. Ask for Lorraine in the restaurant (a steakhouse with an indoor charcoal grill, and excellent local dishes.) Also, the Bunratty Castle Hotel houses another excellent family restaurant, Kathleen's. Known locally by its old name Fibber Magees (things change slowly here) the bar in Kathleen's also has live music at the weekends, with an emphasis on lively Irish session type stuff. Kathleen's also have a huge Irish Night which can be booked directley or through your hotel or Guesthouse. There is a new Italian Bistro, Ponteveccios, inside the Bunratty Manor Hotel. Intimate, and very friendly. Ask for Ger. And don't forget the excelent Duty free shopping in Meadows and Byrnes, and the new Blarney Woolen Mills. Even the locals drop in regularly, as they stock a fine range of Irish desinger (yes they exist) clothing. Hand knits etc. Please, visit our beautiful village, but try (hard as it may be) to leave Durty Nellies for a little while to experience the rest of Bunratty! I am delighted to hear so many positive reports from the posters above.

Shadow Oct 11th, 2001 11:30 AM

Clare girl-thanks for the info. I will make note of it all for our next trip-my mom lives in Co. Roscommon. I miss Ireland terribly!! Just love it there! <BR>Shadow

clare girl Oct 13th, 2001 03:25 AM

Just remembered, "Muses" Restaurant in the original Bunratty House which is at the back of the folk park. The menu is very modern, and innovative, but the gracious county house setting is cosy and scatered with antiques etc. Reservations are definitely required. Also for Gallaghers Restaurant, you must book up to two weeks in advance (such is the reputation!) 35361363363, Well, well worth booking! I will be happy to answer any queries about Clare and the Shannon Region in particular! Shadow, hope you come back soon!

ttt Jan 6th, 2002 02:29 PM

TTT

MyTummy Jan 7th, 2002 08:58 AM

The castle was nice, the music and entertainment was wonderful, but when half of our group wound up visiting the doctor due to food poisioning, the experience was ruined. Someone in our group who had been seated at another table said that her table sent back undercooked pork ribs.