Booking Colosseum Underground Tour through Coopculture

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Coopculture site http://www.coopculture.it/en/the-colosseum.cfm only lists the underground tour through the end of April 2104, and we will be there the third week of May. Is it likely that it will be continued and they are just not taking reservations yet? I sent an email but I have not received a reply. Are there any other inexpensive tours like this available? We had planned to do Walks of Italy but DH thinks it is too expensive, especially since we plan to do their early AM Vatican tour before the crowds arrive.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 11:36 AM

We are going on Walks of Italy tour of Colosseum on the Wednesday in the third week of May. Even they had to do some "work arounds" and change our tour day and time as the slots available for underground were not every day (morning tour may be only on Wednesday and Saturday I think). But I had found earlier the following article that describes different ways that you might do it.

http://www.revealedrome.com/2011/06/...avel-tips.html
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 12:14 PM

It's almost certain that the underground tours will be offered in May. The Colosseum doesn't announce them very far in advance, probably because they sometimes have to be suspended when there have been heavy rains. If private groups sell these tours further in advance than the official site does, and if the tours end up being canceled, they'll just refund your money. The fact that they offer the tours is no guarantee that they'll be able to provide them.

Even the tours sold by the official Coopculture site have sometimes had to be canceled just a few days out because of heavy rains, as happened earlier this year.