Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bug spray needed???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bug-spray-needed-523268/)

PamNC Apr 22nd, 2005 06:54 AM

Bug spray needed????

Maybe this is a silly question to some, but are mosquitoes (or any other critters for that matter) going to be an issue during our travels to Sicily in late May? They just love me, so I want to be prepared if needed, but I'm packing light and don't want to drag along anything unnecessary.

Also, any hints on the weather during that time in Taormina and Ortygia? Unless it is similar to Palermo, I haven't a clue as that is the only city for which I can get temperature info.

MANY thanks for your help!

lynclarke Apr 22nd, 2005 09:22 AM

I do not know from personal experience but I have read on the message boards that mosquitos are a problem?
Lyn

VickiH Apr 22nd, 2005 09:29 AM

the weather will be similar-ish to palermo. but in my experience the weather in sicily can be quite unpredictable - i suppose it's because it's an island or something.... but i would think if you plan for more or less the same weather as palermo, you should be ok...

as for the bugs... they love me too. i've not been to sicily at that time of year but i can tell you i *definitely* got bitten in lecce (southern puglia) as early as that. if you're prone to being bitten or if you react particularly badly, it's worth taking bug spray, i would say.

Lorraine3636 Apr 24th, 2005 03:38 PM

I was in Sicily the end of May 2004 and you couldn't pick a better time weatherwise. We kept out windows open at the hotel and there were no screens. I did not find any problems with mosquitoes.

Carmen Apr 24th, 2005 07:44 PM

You can get insect repellant that is dispensed via a "wet wipe." This makes it easy to pack in a purse/daypack/toiletries bag, so you're prepared, without taking up a lot of room. We used these in Hawaii last year, and it was nice to have them handy when the bugs started to bite.

Kate Apr 25th, 2005 01:11 AM

PamNC, I feel your pain, I suffer terribly from the little critters.

I went to Sicily (Cefalu) last mid-June, and didn't get bitten once. And believe me, if there'd been any around, they'd have found me.

Of course, the weather can affect things - I didn't have any rain, so I don't know whether they would have hatched if it had rained.

mousireid Apr 25th, 2005 07:36 AM

Last year the last few weeks of May were lovely - 80's for sure, and sometimes 90's inland. This year HAS been cooler and wetter but as much as no-one can guarantee the rain (or lack thereof) those areas by the ocean should be lovely. As for the beasties, they might be about but from being a feast in the US to hardly being eaten here can only be a good thing! Bring somethinbg JUST IN CASE, what harm can it do?! Now those bloody midgies in Scotland are another thing entirely......

DonnaD44 Apr 25th, 2005 07:53 AM

Since bug spray takes up relatively little room in a suitcase, I'd recommend packing it. We had a nasty time with mosquitoes in Siracusa in the fall. At the time, I didn't know the word for mosquito in Italian so I had trouble telling the fly killer from the kind you can spray on your skin. The word is "zanzare," if you need to find a product.

JEAN33437 May 3rd, 2005 05:04 AM

Kate: We will be in Cefalu, also in June...are there any particular places that you consider "Not to be Missed"?

caroline_edinburgh May 3rd, 2005 05:15 AM

I have been bitten in Taormina & Siracusa in April & May. I would not sleep there with my windows open at any time of year.

Late April & May the weather was quite warm - warm enough for sunbathing but slightly chilly for swimming, although I did (briefly). We did sometimes sit outside to eat at night, in sheltered spots.

nytraveler May 3rd, 2005 09:56 AM

Just a question - when I read this I though someone was asking about bringing bug killig spray to use on the potential vermin in their hotel rooms.

Perhaps a regional difference, but here

Insect repellent is what you put on your self to keep from being bitten by mosquitos

Bug spray is the poison the exterminator uses to clean out a building that's infested - definitelty not something you would want near your skin

PamNC May 3rd, 2005 09:12 PM

Thank you, one and all for your input! I am going to play it safe. I purchased some "insect repellent" wipes from Avon which I can easily pop in my purse and hope that I won't need them. It sure would have made my day if everyone would have said not to give it a second thought as bugs are not a problem, but this does not seem to be the case. Thanks for the heads-up!

Marilyn May 3rd, 2005 10:57 PM

Pam, they love me, too. I swear by Cutter's in stick form. What I like about it:
1. I can apply it without getting it on my hands, e.g., in an outdoor restaurant during a meal.
2. I don't inhale it because it's not a spray.
3. I can even dab it on my face in the middle of the night without turning on the light or worrying about getting it in my eyes.

It's smaller than a deodorant stick. You can usually buy it in an outdoor or camping supply store, but you may have to hunt a bit for the stick version.

eri May 3rd, 2005 11:25 PM

I am also one of those "sweet" people that bugs just love to bite. I found that "Off" repellent always works wonders for me. They also offer a small purse-size spray which I carry with me at all times.
Another product I once used in Hawaii is called "Skin So Soft" by Avon. It is a sun screen + repellent.

RAR May 6th, 2005 12:27 PM

There were no mosquitos or other biting insects at all when I was there in April. I wouldn't bother.

eri May 8th, 2005 11:01 PM

I absolutely disagree with RAR.
There is a need to bother.
If you are one of these unfortunate people who get bitten by even by the only mosquitoes in a place, you will most probably agree with me. Since I am one of those, I ALWAYS carry a can of OFF with me no matter where I go. Just as I never leave without my tooth brush...

RAR May 9th, 2005 07:59 AM

Unless your mere presence magically conjures up mozzies, then the answer is still no :p

caroline_edinburgh May 9th, 2005 08:33 AM

RAR, you may have overlooked my earlier posting where I said I've been bitten there in April.

mousireid May 9th, 2005 08:47 AM

RAR I just got bitten in Catania last week five times. So I guyess those wee buggers are here.

Marilyn May 9th, 2005 08:51 AM

I am one of those people whose mere presence conjures up mozzies. Unless it is the dead of winter, I always take my Cutters stick with me. I'd rather do without my toothbrush!